Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Any 351 Cleveland gurus?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Any 351 Cleveland gurus?
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 351c 4v I'm certain they are open chamber heads non adjustable rockers. Can't confirm this as I have not pulled the heads and it is not the original motor. The couple issues I have are as follows. I hear what sounds to be a rocker or lifter tap. Non of the rockers appear to be loose or have any odd wear marks. There is also a good stream of oil coming thru each push rod. Am I missing something or can this still be a rocker or lifter.

Secondly I cannot get the manual choke to work. It is a Holley 750 vacuum secondary 3310c model. When I pull the choke it just dies. Doesn't matter if I pull it slightly or completely. Not real familiar with manual chokes

Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i am very familiar with these motors more than the 5.o actually lol. ok so these heads have canted valves and are kinda hard on the side wear of the valves in the head, plus if the head don't have hardened seats for the new gas change over from leaded to unleaded it will eat a exhaust seat very fast. if the car has been sitting for many years and your just driving it i have a feeling that whats your hearing. take heads off very fast and have hardened seat installed with a gd head valve job with everything checked out. if not one broken exhaust valve will cost u your whole motor. loosen the rockers and shake the valve with spring side to side , should be minimal play, obviously if u got one or a couple with alot there u go. even if there tight, if u don't know thr history have the heads checked, just a sucked valve with make that noise, if u can go threw and check the preload on the lifter when tightening those un adjustable rockers and u got one or more way to tight that's your sucked valve beating it self in the head. don't let it continue. if there at the machine shop at u plan on updating the performance get the heads set up for screw in studs and guide plates, i have some roller rockers and many other performance goodies as well.
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was afraid it would come down to removing the heads. Honestly I'm trying to avoid that route as this is a running project. It would be nice to mill the pedestals and have a new valve train but I would much rather find a closed chamber 4v head.

A little history on the car, the previous owner used the car close to daily for about a year. Before that I'm certain you are right, it looks as if it sat for a while. Thanks for the advice and I will loosen the rockets and check how much play are in the valves.

Lastly, I have a bare late model 460 external balance D8TE block that has been equal decked align honed and bored 30 over. The down side is that is all I have, a bare block. What are some pros and cons to building the 460 over the Cleveland besides the obvious amount of money to obtain all accessories and related items to even get the 460 in the car

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
very heavy, untrue to people beliefs the Cleveland is not a big block nor is it heavy or that heavy. 460 needs a big block tranny, Cleveland small block tranny. if u can get the Cleveland dialed in , it has power of a big block but revs like a small block. dont mill anything at all, if u think u need to once u check, its the valve sucking into the head and that problem needs to be fixed FAST! my first experiences was with a tweeker machinist who i paid to put in hardened seats. i had the exact problems u have listed right after. my motor had sat like 20 years prior. my motor already had adjustable valve train and every other day i was constantly adjusting valve train to fix that weird ticking noise. never really went away till booooom. exhaust valve dropped, stopped the piston from coming up so it went through the cylinder wall, destroyed a 4 bolt main block. these are actually my favorite affordable ford motor. yates heads where stemmed from a Cleveland head, where also used lots as modified NASCAR motors.
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

I'm aware of all the needed items for the 460 swap and seems pricey but wit he there being only about 168 pounds difference in the Cleveland on the 460 I wasn't too worried about the weight. And I was referring to paying to have to pedestals milled and tapped for screw in studs. I don't plan on doing anything with this car other than street drive on weekends so there is no bed for a motor capable of spinning 7500 rpm. I think if I can find a nice set of closed chamber 4V heads the Cleveland my be a fun build. The valves have very minimal if any play in the. What so ever. So I feel like it's back to a lifter issue. I think ill just pull the heads and intake and start looking around
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

oh lol i thought u where gona mill them home stly to get the rockers back in adjustment. gd luck i like those motors alot.
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

I do to and I like the power potential but finding a set of heads is a task!
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

i have one bare. 100 bucks.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com