Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » TFI module

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: TFI module
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi all...I've been having intermittent issues with the car (93 5.0L T5) just shutting down for no reason. I've narrowed it down to the TFI last night. Car shut down about 2 minutes after starting it cold. Wouldn't start after several tries of cranking it. Pulled the TFI connector off and plugged it back in. Started up fine and got me home. This has been intermittent (about 3 times) for about a couple of months now.

So, I looked around for TFI modules on 50resto and American Muscle. They were MSD and Dyna Mod going for between $50 and $70. I called the dealership to get a OEM part, because I like OEM parts, they looked it up and said it was $198. WTH?? I almost fell off my chair!! Is the OEM that much better than the 3rd party modules? I WILL NOT get one from O'Reillys or AutoZone.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm leaning toward the MSD one for $49.99 off or AM.

[ 2013-09-16, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Marks93 ]

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just had to replace a Dyna-Mod that was only about 6-7 years old and didnt have that many miles on it. If you don't want to drop the coin for a factory one the the MSD sounds like a good deal.

I went with oreillys cheapest replacement because I just want to get mine running and my buddy who works there would have allowed me to bring it back if it didnt work.(against their policy)

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ha! I just read your thread! I haven't had much luck with O'Reilly or AutoZone parts lately and am pretty discouraged with them. I'd prefer to pay a little extra for more dependable parts but the $198 at the dealership is outrageous.
Cstang5.0
¯
Member # 4925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cstang5.0  Ford pictures for Cstang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check out rock auto they have a motorcraft one for 89$

--------------------
88 VERT slow sold
89 coupe stock ; )
02 yukon
05 focus

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well we use Motorcraft exclusively in our shop and we have no issues. Also Blue Streak makes a good module for a decent price. But what you need to do is RELOCATE the module off the DIZZY. This can be dun with a heat sink and some easy wiring. You can also use a later model Mustang TFI that has the heat sink built in. Also the TAURUS has a remote unit that works great. If you do not move the unit and heat sink it it will eventually fail. Heat kills those modules. Also change the PIP as they should be changed in pairs. It sounds like you have a bad connection and that means the PIP is also a suspect. I personally remote mount the TFI and always replace the PIP. Hope this helps!!

Here is how it is DUN. This heat sink is AWSUM and works great.

-

-

[ 2013-09-16, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

mikeceli
¯
Member # 8389

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeceli  Ford pictures for mikeceli    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I installed a Motorcraft(MC) TFI Module and Pick Up (PIP) in my Lincoln Mark VII LSC (5.0 HO).

Sixteen years, 180,000 miles ago, no problems.

The aftermarkef TFI I installed prior to the MC, lasted a month, or so.

Posts: 33 | From: N. California, Sonoma County | Registered: May 2008  |  :
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Thanks guys! I did spend the extra money for the Motorcraft one and installed it. Time will tell but I'm pretty confident in Motorcraft parts.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com