Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fan Temp Setting?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fan Temp Setting?
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a DCC controller and a 180 thermostat.

When should I set the fan to activate? I heard 10 degrees above the thermostat's setting but I want to make sure I have this right. I also am running a switch with the power wire going to the fusebox under the dash. Is there a better place for this wire to be hooked up as it is getting really hot when the fans been on for a while. Thanks!

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to run mine at like 150. That way when I shut my car off, it would continue to cool.
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was told to leave the fan off 10 degrees over the thermostat. This allows the thermostat to cool the engine down enough before it even allows the fans to turn on. Correct me if I'm wrong someone???

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
10 degrees over the thermostat is probably fine.

Over maybe 30mph, the fan isn't needed. More air flows across the radiator just while moving. It's when you're stopped in traffic the fans really works. Try 10 degrees and notice if the water temp gets too hot (close to 200). If it does, try setting the fan-on temperature point a little lower.

Running the fan while the motor not running only cools the water in the radiator and won't really cool the motor as no water is pumping. It also puts a drain on the battery.

You wire getting hot might be caused by using too thin of a wire (too small of a gauge). A fan draws some current so within reason, a thicker wire would be better.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

I used 8 gauge wire on everything for the fan. I will try setting the fan to come on a little earlier. How would I go about wiring this so it comes on only when the key is turned on instead of my switch and using the fusebox as a power

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not sure if I can answer that as it depends on the type of controller you have. Look at Figure 4 in this instruction sheet:

http://inet.derale.com/clientdocs/1_321.pdf

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com