Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » best tire size for 17x10.5

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: best tire size for 17x10.5
Murder mach
¯
Member # 10590

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murder mach  Ford pictures for Murder mach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on 2004 gt,running 1.5 drop springs with 17x10.5 in the rear,what tire size should i shoot for.

it has 17x9 on it now with 275's

Posts: 860 | From: stockton area | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinitzzz  Ford pictures for Chinitzzz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with a 315/35/17 or 315/40/17 depending how tall you like your tires

--------------------
1987 coupe -under construction

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
335/35/17..roll your fenders and flip your quad shocks and they will fit no problem.. i have some forsale too! lol they are still on rims so if you wanna see if they fit you can

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Everyone seems to like the 315/35/17s on their 17/10.5s. You have to take into consideration that some brands are bigger than others when comparing the same size. For example, a Nitto 555r is much smaller than a Goodyear F1. I personally like a 285/40/17, at least on a fox. You can actually get good STREET tires in that size. I couldnt say the same for the 315s.

I would HIGHLY recommend these (but come to Americas Tire and order them through us, We will price match);
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&partnum=84WR7ECDW&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 925_GT:
Everyone seems to like the 315/35/17s on their 17/10.5s. I personally like a 285/40/17, at least on a fox. You can actually get good STREET tires in that size. I couldnt say the same for the 315s.

I totally disagree with the above statement. The whole point of going with a 17X10.5 rim is so you can run some wide tires out back on 1994-2004 mustangs.

The 315/35/17 Goodyear Eagle GSD3 is one of the widest 315 tires around and it performs great in the rain. An excellent tire.

On my 2001 cobra, I run Michelin 335/35/17 tires on a 17X10.5 rim. I went with the Michelins because for a brief period of time, the 315 Goodyears were not available.

285's are too narrow for a 10.5 wide rim.

My car with 335's
 -

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got 255/40/17s On My 10.5 rim! One side has a continental and the other side has a khumo. The khumo looks a little funny but the conti looks great the way it sits

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
Aviatorguy
Member # 12616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aviatorguy  Ford pictures for Aviatorguy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cobra racer46, do you have any issues rubbing when going over a bump? would you take a pic of your rear end to show the tires how wide they looks from behind please?
This is the set up I want to do for my son's 94, I am on a swap project to make it gt, it is a V6 3.8 right now not for long though. hehehe
[IMG][/IMG]

--------------------
Ford for Ever!

Posts: 1 | From: Vaughan Ontario - Canada | Registered: Dec 2012  |  :
JON_SVT
¯
Member # 9621

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JON_SVT  Ford pictures for JON_SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
315/35-17 on a 17 by 10.5 wheel.
4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
quote:
Originally posted by 925_GT:
[qb] Everyone seems to like the 315/35/17s on their 17/10.5s. I personally like a 285/40/17, at least on a fox. You can actually get good STREET tires in that size. I couldnt say the same for the 315s.

I totally disagree with the above statement. The whole point of going with a 17X10.5 rim is so you can run some wide tires out back on 1994-2004 mustangs.

The 315/35/17 Goodyear Eagle GSD3 is one of the widest 315 tires around and it performs great in the rain. An excellent tire.

On my 2001 cobra, I run Michelin 335/35/17 tires on a 17X10.5 rim. I went with the Michelins because for a brief period of time, the 315 Goodyears were not available.

285's are too narrow for a 10.5 wide rim.

Did I not say on a FOX? 285's are too narrow for a 10.5 wheel? Really, Then how come I have used 285's on a 10.5? And if you want to get technical, 335's are too wide for a 10.5. They will peak at the center causing uneven tread wear. See link below.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires_101/customizing/rim_wheel_width/

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

mechanicalsnake
¯
Member # 11845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mechanicalsnake  Ford pictures for mechanicalsnake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't roll fenders just yet!! Try using an adjustable pinion snubber first! That would also help with squatting during acceleration! No need to risk body damage rolling wells.. BUT if room is needed have it professionally done

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com