Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Dual exhaust on 82 5.0??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Dual exhaust on 82 5.0??
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Soooo i realized that the crossmember is not made for an H-pipe on my 82 5.0.. I was wondering if I can just buy a newer fox crossmember and put it on?? Will i be a direct fit?? And what else would i need to do to mount the exhaust??

I have mac shorty headers, stock 4 cat H-pipe, with flows and lx tips..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so me you and 68stangtay all have the sen gen coupes. What we need to do for dual exhaust is to buy the newer double hump crossmember and get the mounting tabs widened due to the bigger mounts on the dh crossmember. I recommended taking the car to fod and have Jon cut widen and weld on the tabs to make the necessary space. Then you should have no problem mounting your dual exhaust.

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well my car is on stands right now and i cant take it anywhere.. [Frown]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Talk to Jon personally and see if he will make a house call for you. It's his bread and butter and I've seen him do it before

--------------------
King Lx

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

im new on here, whos jon??

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Iron50. He runs/owns fabrication on demand and precision fabrication

--------------------
King Lx

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

0o ok.. yeah i need him to do my subframes and stuff too.. I talked to him before, I just didnt know his name..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

dre5.0
¯
Member # 12026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dre5.0  Ford pictures for dre5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i put a 87-93 crossmember on my 85 fox and it bolted up with no problems...i did it to add a h-pipe like you...
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

79-82 is different

--------------------
King Lx

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would you look at that.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/transmission-crossmember-adjustable-double-hump-dual-exhaust-t-5-aod-1979-1993/p/CM1/

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Would you look at that.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/transmission-crossmember-adjustable-double-hump-dual-exhaust-t-5-aod-1979-1993/p/CM1/

Still have relocate and weld the body tabs...........

"This is a direct fit for all Fox platform vehicles with a 4-1/2" mounting dimension between the crossmember mounting brackets. It can be used on Fox platform vehicles with a 2-1/4" mounting dimension by relocating the brackets."

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:
Would you look at that.

"This is a direct fit for all Fox platform vehicles with a 4-1/2" mounting dimension between the crossmember mounting brackets. It can be used on Fox platform vehicles with a 2-1/4" mounting dimension by relocating the brackets."

Well I never was a good reader.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it might be easier if you straight pipe it than adding a h or x pipe..header straight to your muffler. I could be wrong though.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:
Would you look at that.

Well I never was a good reader.
haha I was never much for reading either bro

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

quote:
Originally posted by ed650:
it might be easier if you straight pipe it than adding a h or x pipe..header straight to your muffler. I could be wrong though.

I'm tryna keep it street legal, so i would need to put cats.. Wouldnt it lose back pressure with just straight pipes to muffler??

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what mufflers are you installing, are you doing any motor mods? try to gather up all your parts and do it all at the same time bro so you dont have to keep unbolting.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Just some flows.. I wanted to get it on right now since Im putting on my cobra rearend and have the rearend dropped.. I am gonna swap the motor out too, but thats not gonna be for a few more weeks..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com