Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Kinda baffled here.. No spark 5.0

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Kinda baffled here.. No spark 5.0
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't spend a lot of time diagnosing foxes and I am kinda stuck on one here. Working on a friend's 91 GT and so far I've replaced the pick up coil in the distributor, based on some previous experience.

I advised him to replaced the aftermarket coil he has on it(Accel), and put a stocker one, and replace the ignition module as well.

The other odd thing I notice was when turning the ignition on, fuel pressure goes up to 40psi but once you turn the key off it drops down to zero instantly, isn't it supposed to hold some pressure for a bit? Unless it has a leaky injector/regulator or something, right?

The car has the following mods:
-GT40 tubular intake
-adjustable FPR (not sure of brand)
-24# injectors
-higher flow fuel pump (unknown brand as well)

The car has had these mods for awhile, and was driven regularly until he was unable to make it pass Nevada emission a year ago, and it sat since then, he then installed a battery on it and that's when the problem started

THANKS FOR ANY HELP CAFORDS!!!!!!

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
82 GT-5.0, 5spd, IRS *SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD
82 Mercury Capri 5.0 *SOLD

Posts: 855 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd focus on the spark issue for now. Since its an aftermarket fuel pump it could be missing a check valve as mine was and let the fuel pressure drop right back to 0 after prime. No issue there really as long as the car is started as soon as its being primed.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think once u turn the key the pump starts priming automatically. It does on mine.

Check if u have spark by unpluging each plugg one by one and see iff sparks flash. If it does it mite be a bad fuel pump? Maybe it was instralled wrong u never know the basic shit always seems to be overlooked [burnout]

--------------------
*Municipio Yanga Veracruz

lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Change the battery to a different one, i seen that on ur first post just right now. Take one out from a known working running car that might be the issue. Do that first before u start swapping more parts.

[ August 11, 2012, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: lxhatch5.0 ]

--------------------
*Municipio Yanga Veracruz

RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yup, I put my own battery from my Mach in it for a second, and has a new battery now too, still does the same thing, cranks but doesn't start.

And I think I forgot to mention that I pulled the wire from the coil and there was no spark from there, and none from the #1 cylinder. I ran a test w a volt meter a month back to test the pick up coil, that's why i told him we should start with that.

And the fuel pump primes just fine I think, cuz like I said it gets 40psi when u turn the key on.

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ECOboostin:
I'd focus on the spark issue for now. Since its an aftermarket fuel pump it could be missing a check valve as mine was and let the fuel pressure drop right back to 0 after prime. No issue there really as long as the car is started as soon as its being primed.

I tried to do it both ways, right after I hear the pump prime, and wait a couple of seconds, and came up with the same results. And I remember noticing that when cranking, the pressure drops almost to zero as well. But ya, like you said, I'm trying to focus on the spark issue first.

[ August 11, 2012, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: At1Maverick69 ]

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would check the fusible links next to the solenoid and the ground next to the battery which has that detachable connector on it.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
I would check the fusible links next to the solenoid and the ground next to the battery which has that detachable connector on it.

Lee, Thanks I'll look into those. What color wire is that fusible link in, by the way?

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by At1Maverick69:
quote:

Lee, Thanks I'll look into those. What color wire is that fusible link in, by the way?
I don't remember what the colors the wires are but almost wire coming off the positive side of the solenoid has a fusible link on it, but since the the battery was just changed and the problem came after that, check the negative cable with the weird connector on it to see if that is your problem, I had a convertible come in this week with a bad ground connector on it which gave low voltage to the fuel pump and no spark.

[ August 11, 2012, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: racsirx ]

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by At1Maverick69:
quote:

Yellowish orange color

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you say you replaced the tfi already?
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Dan- THANKS!! I'll be checking that out tomorrow

DOHC90lx- Not yet, but I did advise him to replace just to rule it out.

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

BAD ASS 5.HO
¯
Member # 10947

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BAD ASS 5.HO  Ford pictures for BAD ASS 5.HO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

+1

Make sure ur computer has power. Idnt know how other peopke do it but i check for a click on the passenger side kik pannel. That tells me the solonoid for the ecu has power. Rather not u would have to check for grounds and fusible links. theres a couple of reasons ur not getting spark. Bad evu,no ground,bad dizzy module,bad coil, faulty wiring. jst tryna help.

[ August 11, 2012, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: BAD ASS 5.HO ]

--------------------
98 boosted/stroked cobra
98 rio red cobra

BAD ASS 5.HO
¯
Member # 10947

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BAD ASS 5.HO  Ford pictures for BAD ASS 5.HO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

+1

Make sure ur computer has power. Idnt know how other peopke do it but i check for a click on the passenger side kik pannel. That tells me the solo.oid for the ecu has power. Rather not u would have to check for grounds and fusible links.

--------------------
98 boosted/stroked cobra
98 rio red cobra

RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

quote:
Originally posted by BAD ASS 5.HO:
quote:

+1

Make sure ur computer has power. Idnt know how other peopke do it but i check for a click on the passenger side kik pannel. That tells me the solo.oid for the ecu has power. Rather not u would have to check for grounds and fusible links.

Thanks for the input, man. I'll check those too

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Thanks to everyone for the information. I'll be checking it out more tonight. [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

UPDATE! I was only able to check the yellow wire with the fusible link on it with a DVOM and there wasn't any continuity across it. So I went and tried to get a replacementat Napa, but they had only a 12gauge wire. From a diagram off Stangnet, I thought I saw it being a 10g. There wasn't anything written on the insulator. Can anyone verify?

Oh ya, I replaced the coil, but I wasn't able to try to crank it again.

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Well, replaced the fusible link and now have continuity on every wire that has one on the relay. Replaced the ignition module, the coil, and the pick up in the dizzy. Found a loose ground by the battery as well and put a new eyelet on it and grounded it. BUT still NO spark.

Anything else I'm missing?

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com