Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 72 won't start need help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 72 won't start need help
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Replaced manifold gasket, valve cover gaskets, fuel pump, spark wires, coolant, oil, filter, had carb rebuilt, removed dizzy, new coil. I have correct firing order. I set tdc on the harmonic balancer and then set rotor facing number 1 plug wire on the cap, restabbed the dizzy and the motor won't barely turn over. When I turn the key it only spins like a quarter turn. Almost like the battery is dead. Tested battery and get 12.9 on my meter. I'm at a loss need help. Have had two very knowledged mustang guys helping me over the phone and it's not getting me anywhere.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just because the balancer is on TDC doesn't mean the #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke. With the timing 180° out, you could get the issues you're having.

Take the distributor out. Take the #1 spark plug out and stick your thumb over the hole. Rotate the engine over until you feel air coming out of the spark plug hole. Stop when the balancer his TDC. Reinsert the distributor with the rotor facing the #1 plug terminal.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
kingdavid
¯
Member # 11179

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingdavid  Ford pictures for kingdavid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My stab at it would be is the gas fresh?

--------------------
1967 mustang 410W
2014 Oxford White 5.0

Posts: 305 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Just because the balancer is on TDC doesn't mean the #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke. With the timing 180° out, you could get the issues you're having.

Take the distributor out. Take the #1 spark plug out and stick your thumb over the hole. Rotate the engine over until you feel air coming out of the spark plug hole. Stop when the balancer his TDC. Reinsert the distributor with the rotor facing the #1 plug terminal.

sounds like ur 180 out

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've done that three bloody times but will try once more. Yesterday the car would crank all day. Then there was a BOOM and kids down the block screamed it was so loud. Now it doesnt crank,... Could the starter have done that or was it just a backfire?
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Backfire = timing is wrong. I know I've scared the crap out of many a neighbor due to an incorrectly timed engine.

You could make sure it's not another issue by unhooking the coil wire from the coil and crank the engine. If it cranks normally, it's probably a timing issue.

[ May 07, 2012, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

I did just that and it still quarter cranks only with coil unplugged. As of this min I'm about to manually turn motor with finger in #1 plug hole. Car is in nutral and dizzy is out. Turn motor clock wise by hand correct?
Wicked Motorsports
¯
Member # 8702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wicked Motorsports  Ford pictures for Wicked Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IS your ground cable to the block getting good ground one time that was an issue I had Along with badd timing ...GL

--------------------
92Fobra GT40/E303/BBK/Mac's (sold)
89notch 306HO/TFS1/BBK lt's
89CHP 331/5spd/LT's/LM1's (RIP)
65 331/HCI/TCI trans/SOLD

Posts: 2604 | From: 831salinas | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Yeah, clockwise is correct.

--------------------

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my guess is your timing is wrong being that you had a backfire and now most likely with a large backfire your power valve is shot!
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

it was 180 out and there was a wire the came off one of the harnesses. she's running now and i drove her to work...but throttle response is not there, feels like it gonna die at every stop very very low idle,...vaccuum lines may not be routed correctly. The previous owner did some hack job on the emiisions stuff and vac lines and I'm having a hard time getting it back to how it should be.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com