Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Spark Plug wire Dizzy Cap issue

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Spark Plug wire Dizzy Cap issue
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do I need to fix this problem?

-

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:

You need the correct plug wires. Those look like they're for a later model dizzy cap with the tower terminals.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:

You need the correct plug wires. Those look like they're for a later model dizzy cap with the tower terminals.
Noooooooooooooo they were MONEY. Tossed the box and ordered them online :*( For racing wires 9mm. SOB [Frown]
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not just switch caps with the proper connectors on it?
Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can switch the boots and terminals. thats what i did when i went from a efi to older carb'd dizzy like you have. i used the MSD ones.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is that a 302?

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id try to find the male cap with the posts in that size, tho I am not sure ford used it I bet an msd pro billet smaller cap would work.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Yes its a 302. I was thinking of cutting off the female boots and putting male boots on the wires. Or are the actual WIRE TERMINALS unable to clip on?
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not just purchase one of these caps?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Distributor+Cap+&+Rotor/C0413/C0334.oap?model=Mustang&vi=1134043&year=1992&make=Ford

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Distributor+Cap+&+Rotor/C0413/C0334.oap?model=Mustang&vi=1134043&year=1992&make=Ford

Because the diameter of that cap is larger than on the early distributors. In '74 Ford swapped over to the larger diameter cap. You need this adapter and this rotor to use the cap listed above on an older distributor. Or you can buy the whole kit from summit racing.

[ May 02, 2012, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:

Because the diameter of that cap is larger than on the early distributors. In '74 Ford swapped over to the larger diameter cap. You need this adapter and this rotor to use the cap listed above on an older distributor. Or you can buy the whole kit from summit racing.
Thank you sir [patriot] I was not aware, it's good to know, I guess you do learn something everyday.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
PM'd

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com