Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1972 Mustang Coupe 302 Auto Rear end?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1972 Mustang Coupe 302 Auto Rear end?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So did these come stock with a 9" rear or not? How to tell?
Duh' Winning
¯
Member # 10713

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duh' Winning  Ford pictures for Duh' Winning    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think 8" more flat on top and bottom of pumpkin housing. Google search images should show the differences

--------------------
Duh' Winning- Charlie Sheen

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blown doors off:
I think 8" more flat on top and bottom of pumpkin housing. Google search images should show the differences

Yup flat spot on top and flat spot on bottom of my pumpkin so its an 8". Now i want to know what posi would be good to shove in it?
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Junkyard 8" trac-locs are near impossible to find. Mustang II's or vans are the best bet to find them, but something like less than 5% came from the factory with them. I know in all my years of hunting, I've never found one.

Your best bet is one of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Ford-Traction-Lock-Trac-Loc-Posi-Unit-28-Spline-NEW-/390406125230?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae604b6ae&vxp=mtr

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Junkyard 8" trac-locs are near impossible to find. Mustang II's or vans are the best bet to find them, but something like less than 5% came from the factory with them. I know in all my years of hunting, I've never found one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Ford-Traction-Lock-Trac-Loc-Posi-Unit-28-Spline-NEW-/390406125230?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae604b6ae&vxp=mtr

I know dick about rear ends (of cars) so what else would i need? or can I just crack open, pull out current 'guts' and bolt this in, refill with fluid and go? I have a 3 speed auto...aren't there ratio's I need to maintain?
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
willit is one of the most helpfull peeps on here, maybe i read wrong, nut hes far from a dick. and no its not a bolt in piece, it will have to be reset up just like any other rear end.
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
willit is one of the most helpfull peeps on here, maybe i read wrong, nut hes far from a dick. and no its not a bolt in piece, it will have to be reset up just like any other rear end.

I "DON'T" know dick......was meant to be typed. I know willit has been a large help to the board along with many others. [patriot]
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
quote:

I know dick about rear ends (of cars) so what else would i need? or can I just crack open, pull out current 'guts' and bolt this in, refill with fluid and go? I have a 3 speed auto...aren't there ratio's I need to maintain?
yes you can re-gear it for better "out of the hole" acceleration or better "freeway" driving which would mean your cruise rpm would be lower. depending on your tire height and what you consider to be a comfortable rpm to cruise will dictate what type of gears you should go with. if you are running a 26" tall tire out back you will want to be at about 3:00-3:25 ratio to maintain a lower rpm on the freeway with decent acceleration on the street.

I personally have found various 8" pumpkins which were all "open" diffs (non posi) in mustang II cars one I found was a 3:25 setup and the other was a 3:45-3:50 set. both cars that now have these are running posis.

to answer you question "NO" you cant just slap the posi in. you will need to reset the gears which takes some special tools. so if you want to go posi and want better gearing you will need to get both and have them setup or buy the tools and learn how.

hopefully this answers your questions

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
willit is one of the most helpfull peeps on here...

Thanks man I appreciate it, I do what I can...

quote:

You need some special tools to set up a new carrier in an 8" housing. You'd probably want to take it to a rear end shop to build. It'd probably cost you between $200-$300 depending on where you went.

Gears are extra if you don't want to use your stock gears (probably 2.79's or 3.00's). A set of 8" gears are about $180 from Summit.

[ April 09, 2012, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

so i'll just get a whole new 3rd member and its a 9" [Smile]
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:

You'll need a new housing cause a 9" 3rd member won't fit in an 8" housing. Most everything else will swap over, axles, brakes, etc.

Honestly if you've got a plain jane 302 and an auto, I wouldn't go with a 9". It's way overkill, slightly more expensive than an 8" and takes more HP to turn than an 8". The 8" is easily good for 450+ rwhp. You'll snap stock 28 spline axles before you break an 8" 3rd member.

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
quote:

You'll need a new housing cause a 9" 3rd member won't fit in an 8" housing. Most everything else will swap over, axles, brakes, etc.

Honestly if you've got a plain jane 302 and an auto, I wouldn't go with a 9". It's way overkill, slightly more expensive than an 8" and takes more HP to turn than an 8". The 8" is easily good for 450+ rwhp. You'll snap stock 28 spline axles before you break an 8" 3rd member.

No i think the car came with a 9"...but maybe it did not maybe the 351 were 9" and the 302 was 8"...haven't cleaned off all the grime and crap to check.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
quote:
quote:

No i think the car came with a 9"...but maybe it did not maybe the 351 were 9" and the 302 was 8"...haven't cleaned off all the grime and crap to check.
They didn't put a lot of 9" rears in Mustangs. The odds of a car coming from the factory with a 9" is pretty slim. An easy way to tell is get under the car and try and put a socket over the lowest carrier/housing nut. If a socket fits, its an 8", if it doesn't fit, its a 9".

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com