Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Headlights turning on when no one is in car...????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Headlights turning on when no one is in car...????
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I installed a HID kit that plugged right into the factory harness. Everything has worked great so far. The other day 1 headlight was out and I realized the bolt holding the ground had broke so I replaced it and it was fine. Well last night I moved my car and when I shut it off I realized that the headlights didnt shut off. I immediately considered the switch to be the problem so I grabbed a screw driver, popped the switch out and unplugged it. They stayed ON! So I popped the hood and pulled the fuse for the HID's. They turned OFF. Reassembled everything and they seemed to operate normally. Switch worked and everything. I woke up this morning to the lights ON and my battery almost dead. WTF? They cycled on by themselves. Obviously NOT good. I need suggestions, FAST....

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you have some sort of intermittant connection somewhere. Unfortunately not easy solution.. just bust out the volt meter and start testing [Smile] Also, try wiggling some of the wires and see if you get any strange behavior.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK so I had an hour to kill....figured it out.

For anyone else running HID kits, start with the kit! I put a factory bulb in, NO problems....

Traced it down to the Hi/Lo switch that all the main power runs through. This is why BOTH lihght were coming on and not just 1, which would be a faulty ballast,

In the future if something needs to be mounted upwards, I will do so. Not doing it this time cause water to get into the switch and has now put me in this position. Lame...

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was gonna say ghosts

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com