Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » fox body wheel and tire size

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: fox body wheel and tire size
FISH
¯
Member # 10442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FISH  Ford pictures for FISH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am looking for wheels and tires for my 1992 mustang. It has the maximum motorsports road and track suspension kit. I want to go 17" how wide and what size tires can I use without any rubbing?
Posts: 55 | From: SAN FRANCISCO | Registered: Nov 2010  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not rolling your fenders will restrict you a lot so i recommend you do that first, im pretty much maxed out right now with 18x9 with 245/40 in front and 18x10 with 285/35 in rear. I could probably run 255s and 295s without rubbing but i got a good deal on my tires. I rub on the front control arm sometimes on full lock if you get 8 in. wide rims in the front you wont have that problem or install rack limiters. I rubbed all 4 fenders until i rolled them now no issues. Good luck

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
FISH
¯
Member # 10442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FISH  Ford pictures for FISH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking at 17x9 cobras with 245/45/17 fronts and 275/40/17 rears. Anyone have this setup? What will I have to do to make them work?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what spindles, brakes, and axles are you running?

I run 17x9's with 275/40's in the rear of my `89 that has fox length 5 lug northracecar cobra brakes and `95 spindles up front. I run 17x8's with 245/45's up front with no rubbing.

-
 -

my rear fenders are rolled, no quad shocks as I have the MM PHB/HD Adj. LCA's in the back.
I run griggs coil overs with koni DA struts in the front.

I could probably run 295's in the rear? I have heard my rear tires rub a couple of times when I'm pushing it hard but it looks like it's rubbing the 2.5" tailpipes and not the fenderwells.

I don't think I could go wider in the front without spreading the front fenders out and trimming the fender liners.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had no issues running 275 40 17's all the way around on both 95 Cobra R wheels, 10th annv Cobra's and 03 Cobra Wheels. Your fenders will need alittle work for that setup, only the rears if you stick with 245's up front. Here are some photos of my cars past and present with 275's

-

-

-

[ February 11, 2011, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: BIzKitBrAIn ]

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the 4 eye's have a narrower k-member so they're easier to fit, what k-member/a-arm/spindle setup did you have on the white coupe? I think that's how far my 17x9's w/275/40's stuck out on my car, and they rub the front fender extension and fender liner when turning even at static height.

[ February 11, 2011, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

FISH
¯
Member # 10442

I have 4 lug with stock brakes.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by FISH:
I have 4 lug with stock brakes.

should fit the tire size you wanted no problems, might have to roll the rear fenders and flip or remove the quad shocks/brackets at the most.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

FISH
¯
Member # 10442

What about the front tires? Will the 245/45/17 be okay? How would 255/40/17 fit?
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FISH:
What about the front tires? Will the 245/45/17 be okay? How would 255/40/17 fit?

I have 255/40ZR18 on the front. I don't think you will have a problem.

Do you have 91-93 fenders? I'm assuming you do.

[ February 13, 2011, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
FISH
¯
Member # 10442

I have a 1992. So which fronts would be better 245/45/17 or 255/40/17 ?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com