Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Has ANYONE had this problem?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Has ANYONE had this problem?
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So VERY randomly my steering locks while turning to the LEFT. I have put a considerable amount of force on it trying to get it to break free. Nothing. But turning the wheel ever so slightly to the RIGHT frees it and then I can go to full lock to the left again.

I originally assumed the lock pin. I have since removed it and the car still RANDOMLY does this. I assume its something in the column since visually I dont see anything hanging up in the engine bay or under the car.

This problem MUST be found since it has already made my car spin at a low speed due to my inability to correct the steering under a slide. It is a def danger.

ANY IDEAS????

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Broken power steering rack. Something internal, such as a tooth on the gear.

As you've stated...probably not the best thing to drive it.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the broken column was dagerous enough to where it almost caused an accident, i would forget about tring to pick apart your column find the issue. it will be more work taking apart a column then it is to just swap it out.

just swap in a complete working column and be done with it.

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a tilt wheel and column for sale 20.00 bucks and its yours
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

How sure are you that it's the rack?
What about the steering shaft? Can it bind?

I have had the column apart already. Really not that difficult and really nit much in it that can randomly stick.

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by T-TopTerror:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

How sure are you that it's the rack?
What about the steering shaft? Can it bind?

I have had the column apart already. Really not that difficult and really nit much in it that can randomly stick.

Disconnect the column at the coupler, then run it through...that will single out the problem.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Well Autozone has racks for $55 so I just replaced it. I will let you know if the problem occurs again. If you don't hear from me then that must have been the problem. Also the shaft had some play in it and since the installation of the new rack, and me verifying everything was tight, the isnt the slack anymore. I do notice now tho how much play in my column there is tho. side to side and up and down. It is a tilt but maybe I should buy that one for $20 that one of the members is selling right now. idk.

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 2nd gen. Mustangs would do the same thing. There was a bushing in the steering rack in front of the input shaft. Just take off the metal plate and replace the plastic bushing. I am not sure about the 3 gen. Mustangs. It's probably similar but may not be serviceable. Worth looking into.
Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

I haven't experienced the problem once since replacing the rack. I assume something was going on with it. Aside from a slightly loose steering wheel(tilt wobble) the steering feels great.

I don't think I am in danger of dying now [Wink]

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com