Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1972 mustang water pump fail - FIXED UPDATE :)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1972 mustang water pump fail - FIXED UPDATE :)
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just fired up 1972 mustang coupe with a 302. Suddenly coolant came pouring out the bottom of the car and metal round berrings are all over the floor. Car barley ran and smoke kept pluming out the rear exhaust.

My question is does the water pump have bearings in it and what else could have got fubared up while letting the car run. only ran a couple min. Haven't jacked up the car yet wanted to get a little advice first.

Previsouly before this happened the car was make a loud squealing noise from the motor compartment and would stutter when pushing the gas. My hope is the water pump was siezing out and now it finally took a shit on me. Anyone hear of this?

Regards,
Merry Christmas.

[ January 04, 2011, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Jdub07 ]

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes water pump have bearing in them
an when you remove it it would be a good idea to check all of the pulleys for noise

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok jackesd the car up and see lots of fluid. When loosening the radiator cap coolant shoots out of the water pump right behind the water pump pulley. I can't see a hole but I imagine there is a sizable hole there in order for bearings to have come out.

replacing water pump and selling this bitch

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Need to remove the water pump pulley. I got the fan and fan shroud off and a number of bolts on the water pump but without getting the pulley off I'm totally stuck.

The water pump CLEARLY failed...the pulley wiggles crazy just by touching it.

WHere do I get a pulley removal tool?

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Should be 4 bolts and tap it off

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by 70mach351:
Should be 4 bolts and tap it off

four bolts removed and pulley still stuck on. How to remove without fucking up the pulley?
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its just a little rust holding it on. Get a hammer and give it a couple light wacks in differnt spots. Use a rubber mallet if you got it.
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

When in doubt get the mallet out! Worked like a charm.

Looks like all the problems I was having with the car was just a failing water pump. Can had be stalling and backfiring due to the water pump seizing. Replaced it and it runs like a champ [Smile]

Thanks for all the help. Car is for sale due to third child on the way spread the word!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com