Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Who has experience driving with Megabite JR. lower control arms?????????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Who has experience driving with Megabite JR. lower control arms?????????
Bigchelis
¯
Member # 5941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bigchelis  Ford pictures for Bigchelis    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi all,

I just purchased the Megabit Jr. lower control arms for my 88 Mustang Coupe for Drag and street use. The company that made the megabits went out of business and now Ford sells them under the blue oval. I got mine at Jeggs here:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Racing/397/M-5649-H/10002/-1

I know I could have got Maximun Motorsports for that price, but I been reading alot about the benefits to 60ft times the relocation bracket offers. BMR fabrication makes these for the newer Mustang models and the F-body Camaros use them too.

LCA relocation bracket info:
http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm

I read nothing but good things about these, but the reviews I read are 3 to 4 years old and I want to know if anybody in Cafords is running these.

Feedback!!!!!!

[ July 28, 2009, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Bigchelis ]

Posts: 161 | From: San Jose,Ca | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run them on my car. 1.55 60' times. No issues! I am required to run this style control arm, and have seen many cars run them with great results.
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
ntimid8
¯
Member # 1498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ntimid8  Ford pictures for ntimid8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran these on my coupe and loved them.

--------------------
"Happiness is being stroked and Blown"

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have them on my coupe currently, they're a lil expensive, but i was 60' 1.7's at the track my first time out. Stock uppers as well. I like them a lot.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Bigchelis
¯
Member # 5941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bigchelis  Ford pictures for Bigchelis    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
Have them on my coupe currently, they're a lil expensive, but i was 60' 1.7's at the track my first time out. Stock uppers as well. I like them a lot.

Wow. 1.7's your first time out.

What springs and shock/struts were you running?

What about tires?

I have adjustable HP Performance upper control arms for these and Strange 10 way adjustable shock/struts and will be looking at getting some 4cyl springs for the front. It has been about 5yrs since I last tested my skills at the track, but with my suspension I am hoping for 1.7~1.8 and with practice 1.6's.

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ford lowering c-springs, koni yellows and et streets. it was yankin okay off the line, the clutch was slippin too much so next time i'm goin for a 1.6 hopefully.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are a lot like the old south side lca for mustangs. i ran mid 1.6's with them, 12.80's with a stock motor. They work. They also put stress on the tq boxes. make sure you weld them up!!!!

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
ntimid8
¯
Member # 1498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ntimid8  Ford pictures for ntimid8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
They are a lot like the old south side lca for mustangs. i ran mid 1.6's with them, 12.80's with a stock motor. They work. They also put stress on the tq boxes. make sure you weld them up!!!!

Ditto! I have seen both the Mega Bites and the South Sides rip out the Torque boxes.

--------------------
"Happiness is being stroked and Blown"

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have them on both of my cars... neither of which i have boxes welded.. never had any problems..
i didn't know hpmotorsports went out of business.. but they have always been sold as a frpp part.... i remember getting my first parts from them, when they were in a little 2 door shop behind a car dearship on L st. for the longest time they were the only people in nebraska that you could get hipo fox body parts..

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the HPM Megabite Sr's on my car, with the pickup points relocated on the rearend side of the arms. Car hooked great and went straight, also due to the rare Maier solid upper arms that I had on the car as well. I never ran enough tire under the car to get some good 60's, but on the street I was very happy with the HPM's.
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
best LCA's ever made... hands down IMO

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Bigchelis
¯
Member # 5941

I got the ford racing lower control arms from Jegs and it says HPM on them.. [worship]

I keep hearing that with good springs, shocks, and slicks 60ft times should be around 1.6.

Are any off you doing less than 1.6 60ft with these HPM control arms times???????

If so what is your spring/shock combo?

[ August 03, 2009, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Bigchelis ]

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1.55 60' times with Mega Bite Jr. lowers and HP adj. uppers.

Stock cut GT rear springs, and QA1 adj. shocks.

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my 88lx has a more road race set up.. runs 1.6's all day. best has been 1.63 on a 275/17 dr.

my 83gt has been 1.50 spinning the tire and foot brakeing.. both run hpm lowers the 83 runs their drag upper also.. i wouldn't by anything else.. [worship]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Bigchelis
¯
Member # 5941

quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
my 88lx has a more road race set up.. runs 1.6's all day. best has been 1.63 on a 275/17 dr.

my 83gt has been 1.50 spinning the tire and foot brakeing.. both run hpm lowers the 83 runs their drag upper also.. i wouldn't by anything else.. [worship]

I have the upper and lowers from HPM...With the numbers you guys are posting I can't wait to put them on and head out to Sacramento for some 1/4mile action.

Thanks,
bigchelis

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com