Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Please recommend parts for H/C/I on a stock '91 5.0 short block w/AFR 165's 58cc

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Please recommend parts for H/C/I on a stock '91 5.0 short block w/AFR 165's 58cc
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just picked up some AFR 165's (Thanx Benny). Now need a few things to complete the package. Gonna order everything from Summit all at once. (Don't ask why, just need ASAP [Big Grin] ) Here's a few Q's:

Which pushrods will work? The stock length is 6.272". The 4130 TrickFlow's I'm interested in are 6.250" then jump to 6.500" & so on. Would the 6.250's be a safe bet?

What do yall think of TrickFlow's cams? Thinkin of going with the Stage II. Would this be too much?

Other things needed on the list are:

Edelbrock RPM II or BBK SSI intake?

24lb or 30lb injectors?

ARP head bolts for sure, but which head gaskets would u go with?

The rest of the parts that'll be used on the combo are: Pro-M 75mm MA, 70mm TB, COMP Pro-Magnum 1.6 rockers, Hedmann 1 5/8" LT's, Magnaflow 2.5" off road X, 2.5" Magnaflow CB.

5 speed w/3.55's in the rear. Car is mostly a street car/weekend warrior.

[ December 01, 2006, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: STREETFIGHTER50 ]

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
white50steve
¯
Member # 5887

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white50steve  Ford pictures for white50steve    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would recomend head studs and heres a couple part #'s
engine gasket set TFS-51400914
dowel pin locaters TFS-51400420
the intakes you stated dont flow that well but are good if you need to smog the car.
if its a stock bottom end id reccomend an f cam if not and you have the clearance the stage 2 would be good. if you want the optimal cam call afr and ask them. i have a performer rpm for sale if interested.

Posts: 161 | From: south san francisco | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hmm..

think the stage 2 might be too much lift on a stock block...

6.250's will be perfect

some brand new FMS lifters while youre at it

30 lbers to be on the safe side

RPM 2 most defintely

some good long tubes

ARP head bolts will be fine with an N/A car

some type of MLS gasket---like a Cometic..way more expensive but well worth it....you can get them from Brother's Performance with FREE shipping for December

A set of NGK VR4 spark plugs

A good set of Wires

2.5" magnaflow all the way out the back

3.73s or 4.10's since you can rev the shit out of the car now....

a good clutch---spec 2 or DFX

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
stock pushrods are fine and 24lb injectors are plenty for that combo

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gonna need longer studs for the pro magnums,( or you'll break the tip off) check with afr they sell some, or you can just get some for a chevy from summit.

And the valvesprings will need to be upgraded for a stage two cam.

[ December 02, 2006, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: 88bird ]

Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock cam retarded 4*, 1.7 rockers, Cobra or GT40 intake w/ ported lower, 24lbers, 76mm MAf, 70mm TB.

300rwhp and 340rwtq on a dynojet and stock driving behavior.

Here's proof.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/06/afrinstall/

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't run Cometics without having the block surface prepped to their specifications. Good chance of leaks.

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88bird:
Gonna need longer studs for the pro magnums,( or you'll break the tip off) check with afr they sell some, or you can just get some for a chevy from summit.

How about the TrickFlow 1.6 rockers? Would I still need longer studs? Also, would the stage 1 be a better choice then?

[ December 02, 2006, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: STREETFIGHTER50 ]

--------------------

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

quote:
Originally posted by STREETFIGHTER50:
quote:

How about the TrickFlow 1.6 rockers? Would I still need longer studs? Also, would the stage 1 be a better choice then?
What are your specific goals? All out power and ET?

How much power do you want?

Does it have to have a decent idle and good daily driveability?

Do you need it to pass smog without having to change cams?

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
quote:
Originally posted by STREETFIGHTER50:
quote:

What are your specific goals? All out power and ET?

How much power do you want?

Does it have to have a decent idle and good daily driveability?

Do you need it to pass smog without having to change cams?

It's gonna be a street car, mostly on the weekends. Maybe strip once in a great while. No smog, it's goin in my cousin's 66 FB, but a nice healthy sounding cam would be great to listen to. A torquey, 300 HP motor would be nice with his 5 speed [Big Grin]

[ December 03, 2006, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: STREETFIGHTER50 ]

--------------------

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

The Comp Cams XE274 would rock, but the stock springs on the AFR165's won't hack it. Stick w/ 1.6 rockers. It will have a cool sounding idle and kick ass up to 6k. Read AFR's info. on these heads and their recommendations for springs--> http://airflowresearch.com/165sbf_sh.php

If you have to stick w/ the stock springs and are going to stay w/ hydro roller lifters, then don't go any bigger than the TF stage 1 cam. You can run 1.7 rockers w/ it for a bit more lift and be at the limit of the stock springs. Just don't expect the stock springs to rev too far past 5500 w/ hydro rollers. At least not for long.

You could consider a solid flat tappet cam.

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes the trick flow rockers will be ok, especially with the 7/16 studs. But afr recommends a longer stud specifically for the promagnum rockers. Call afr. It used to be posted on their website but I couldn't find it yesterday when I looked.

You can call ed curtis for a better spring setup if you want to run a high lift cam and lots of rpm.

[ December 03, 2006, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: 88bird ]

Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

If I don't wanna have to buy longer rocker studs or upgrade the valve springs. TFS stage I cam & 1.7 rockers be the best choice then or just stick with the TFS 1.6 rockers? Also, hydraulic lifters will stay.

[ December 03, 2006, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: STREETFIGHTER50 ]

--------------------

white50steve
¯
Member # 5887

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white50steve  Ford pictures for white50steve    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if he's putting it in a 66 id put a carb on it
Posts: 161 | From: south san francisco | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would upgrade the springs anyway
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Thanks for all the feedback yall. Went with a 75mm MA, 70mm TB, TrackHeat intake, TFS stage I cam, & TFS 1.6 RR's as well. [patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com