Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » clutch problem?!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: clutch problem?!!!
TwoTone91GT
¯
Member # 7254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoTone91GT  Ford pictures for TwoTone91GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok i just got back from the tracks and seems as if my clutch is screwed from i dont know what so everytime i let go of the clutch while in first or reverse at times it wont stall... or when i get off doesnt seem to catch as hard as it used to i dont know whats wrong and if i do i get a new clutch does mlabor cost a lot to get it replaced or checked?
Posts: 469 | From: Elk Grove,Ca | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
TwoTone91GT
¯
Member # 7254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoTone91GT  Ford pictures for TwoTone91GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
or does the clutch cable need to be adjusted? and when i turn off my car smells kinda funny like burnt tire but a little more towards the front of the car
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the clutch is slipping and that's what your smelling. Where does the clutch start to grab, way up high on the pedal or down by the floor?

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
TwoTone91GT
¯
Member # 7254

pedal way high up
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like its could be too tight. Is it adjustable? If you look under the car where the cable connects to the clutch fork is it threaded on the end? It could also have a firewall adjuster that can back it down. If neither then you need to get under the dash and release the adjuster. Its too complicated to explain on the internet how to do it.

--------------------

Abandon him.

TwoTone91GT
¯
Member # 7254

yea im not really good with clutches do shops charge a lot?
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Most do. From the sounds of things it might have just adjusted itself way up and is now slipping. If you dont drive it around much and get it adjusted you should be able to save your clutch. Were you driving it hard about the time it happened? The stock clutch quadrant adjusts itself and if your power shifing it can over adjust causing the problem you describe.

--------------------

Abandon him.

TwoTone91GT
¯
Member # 7254

its a spec stage 2 clutch and no i was driving hard during the time this happened
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

quote:
Originally posted by TwoTone91GT:
its a spec stage 2 clutch and no i was driving hard during the time this happened

If you can get someone to look at it soon I'm sure it can be saved. Just be easy on it till you do or you will burn it up.

--------------------

Abandon him.

TwoTone91GT
¯
Member # 7254

how do you know when you burn it up?
TwoTone91GT
¯
Member # 7254

u think cooling it down would help?
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

If you keep driving it while its slipping it will burn it up (wear it out). cooling it down wont stop it from wearing out.

--------------------

Abandon him.

TwoTone91GT
¯
Member # 7254

oooooo i c dang man ahah im all stressin out now haha shit
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the clutch quadrant and cable are stock, pull up on the clutch pedal really hard then step on it to the floor and it should auto adjust itself.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
if the clutch quadrant and cable are stock, pull up on the clutch pedal really hard then step on it to the floor and it should auto adjust itself.

Doesnt that make it tighten? I cant remember for sure though.....

--------------------

Abandon him.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think it releases it and then tightens to where it needs to

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
I think it releases it and then tightens to where it needs to

You might be right. I havent had a stock quadrant for so long its hard to remember back that far. It cant hurt to try it.

--------------------

Abandon him.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com