Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » best struts

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: best struts
blk86notch
¯
Member # 6485

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blk86notch  Ford pictures for blk86notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it getting around that time for me to change my stuts, on my 86 mustang with a 5 lug conversion. I was wondering witch are the best struts i can get for great handling around the corners and still have a cofortable feel as a daily driver. I have heard good things about koni, but i wanted to know if anyone had some suggestions.
two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid  Ford pictures for two-gun kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bilstien(self adjusting) or koni(double adjustable)

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

Greg M. Valdez
¯
Member # 7227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg M. Valdez  Ford pictures for Greg M. Valdez    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blk86notch:
it getting around that time for me to change my stuts, on my 86 mustang with a 5 lug conversion. I was wondering witch are the best struts i can get for great handling around the corners and still have a cofortable feel as a daily driver. I have heard good things about koni, but i wanted to know if anyone had some suggestions.

Yes, I was told Koni reds if you want the more compliant ride. Read this in 5.0 Mustang mag, also. I'll try to find it. I have Koni reds and they do quite well for my daily driver. 5.0 says that Koni knows the Fox platform quite well:they were stock on the Cobra R.
Posts: 12 | From: banning, ca | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
Greg M. Valdez
¯
Member # 7227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg M. Valdez  Ford pictures for Greg M. Valdez    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blk86notch:

One more thing: I was told Tokiko's and KYB's are good. As a matter of fact, I think the Motorcraft OEM's were Tokiko. However, I went with Koni 'cause of the lifetime warranty, and I plan to keep my 5.0 forever. Also, being a daily dvr, I need parts that last:don't want to be grounded. Good luck! Bimini Blue/P41E-N-117418
daily driver @ 255,365.4

Posts: 12 | From: banning, ca | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
First Place Performance
¯
Member # 6277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Place Performance  Ford pictures for First Place Performance  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you aren't racing (Open tracking or Auto crossing) you really don't need the Koni DA's. A good shock for the money is the Tokico Illumina's. They are adjustable so you can soften or firm up the valving, but at almost half the cost of the Koni's.

Koni's has the same warranty actually as most shock companies. Do they warranty for life the manufacturing of the shock. But not the use. So when the O'rings on the pistons where out and the shock gets soft, thats not warrantiable.

This is the exact warranty list on Koni's site.

<quote> KONI BV warrants all new KONI shock absorbers to the original retail purchaser against defects in material and workmanship, excluding mounting rubbers, washers and bushings, when used under normal operating conditions. This will be either by repair or replacement of the defective product. KONI is not liable for costs that exceed the sole obligation as described in the preceding sentence.

Not included, in any case, in the guarantee are deficiencies which arise from or are completely or partly caused by :

• Improper instalment;

• Normal wear and tear;

Or / and shock absorbers that are installed :

• As OE equipment on any vehicle;

• On any vehicle that has been modified for a use other than or in addition to its originally use;

• For any application that is not specified in the KONI literature;

• On any vehicle that has been used off-road, for Racing or for any other driving competition;

For further info on this subject please contact the KONI Importer in your country.
</quote>

So paying extra for whats basically standard across the board seems pointless.

Bilstein also makes very good street/play shocks. You can get something in the Sport Valved, where they would be slightly firmer then stock, so that when you toss the car into corners you get smoother wieght transfer, keeping the car more reliable.

If you need help finding any just ask.

--------------------
First Place Performance, LTD.
www.fppauto.com
Your One Stop Shop For EVERYTHING Automotive!

Posts: 66 | From: Patterson, CA or Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
NCALSVT
¯
Member # 3205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NCALSVT  Ford pictures for NCALSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
koni

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com