Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Play in clutch pedal?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Play in clutch pedal?
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Should there be any play in clutch pedal? I have about an inch of play when you push on the clutch that requires no effort. I can pretty much rattle it with my fingers and it'll jump up and down. I do have the ford racing adjustable quadrant. Is there supposed to be tension on the entire stroke of the pedal?

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
diddo - I have about an inch or more of play at the top of the pedel. I hate it. I'm in the habbit of after every shift pulling up on the clutch peddle with the top of my foot. Bugs.

I also have an adjustable cable new in box that I'm holding off on installing because the stock one is supposed to be self adjusting. But the play bugs me.

Advice? [patriot]

1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bdpone  Ford pictures for 1bdpone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I also have the same problem, but I have an adjustable setup (including a firewall adjuster). The cluthc play is annoying. I have not taken the time yet to look at why there is play.
Posts: 182 | From: Tri Valley | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
89Saleen310
¯
Member # 5397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Saleen310  Ford pictures for 89Saleen310  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just pulled the little holder lever at the back of the quadrant and let it tighten then the problem went away for me. if that made any sense. haha

--------------------
89 Saleen #310
64 1/2 coupe
73 mach 1
73 vert
66 vert
65 vert
67 coupe
67 coupe
66 coupe

Posts: 1128 | From: Oakland Hills (montclair) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
whyteLX5.0
¯
Member # 6023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whyteLX5.0  Ford pictures for whyteLX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not sure this is it but it may be. Since 5.0 have a self adjusting clutch quadrent( where you pull up the clutch pedal then press it down to adjust) They also have a thing called a "pawl" that holds the adjustment. That may be your problem being if its broken or the teeth are worn down.
Posts: 195 | From: Pittsburg/Antioch | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check out this article

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
Check out this article

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm

Trying that when I get home today [patriot]
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get back to us when you do it! Mine isn't really a mushy feeling. It just flaps around, but stays up.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

one click and my play is gone. feels great! only thing I keep doing is lifting the pedel after shifting (out of habbit) thus resetting the pedel play and I can't figure out the tab thing in the article. But it works great if I remember not to lift the pedel with my toe in between shifts. great article [patriot]
89Saleen310
¯
Member # 5397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Saleen310  Ford pictures for 89Saleen310  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by whyteLX5.0:
Im not sure this is it but it may be. Since 5.0 have a self adjusting clutch quadrent( where you pull up the clutch pedal then press it down to adjust) They also have a thing called a "pawl" that holds the adjustment. That may be your problem being if its broken or the teeth are worn down.

thanks i had no idea what it was called

--------------------
89 Saleen #310
64 1/2 coupe
73 mach 1
73 vert
66 vert
65 vert
67 coupe
67 coupe
66 coupe

Posts: 1128 | From: Oakland Hills (montclair) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com