Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » H PIPE???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: H PIPE???
FONYPONY7o7
¯
Member # 7208

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FONYPONY7o7  Ford pictures for FONYPONY7o7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i juss bought a bbk h pipe is it smog legal??
two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid  Ford pictures for two-gun kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FONYPONY7o7:
i juss bought a bbk h pipe is it smog legal??

no cats=no
with cats=yes

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

FONYPONY7o7
¯
Member # 7208

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FONYPONY7o7  Ford pictures for FONYPONY7o7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it would pass a visual at state reff ?????
two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid  Ford pictures for two-gun kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

is it catted or not?

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

FONYPONY7o7
¯
Member # 7208

yea its gunna have cats but state reff is hella strict on mods arent they?
im doin a change over in my 91 notch and i dunoo if the mother fuckerz gunna nick pick me or wut soo tryin to keep it coo as possible

First Place Performance
¯
Member # 6277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Place Performance  Ford pictures for First Place Performance  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Catted or not, at a ref, it won't pass. Its an altered pipe from the original design of the car. IE; your cars had 4 0r 6 cats, to smog at ref, he will want to see 4 0r 6 cats. Once in a while you get a cool guys letting it slide. But, don't be suprised if it fails visual.

--------------------
First Place Performance, LTD.
www.fppauto.com
Your One Stop Shop For EVERYTHING Automotive!

Posts: 66 | From: Patterson, CA or Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

quote:
yea its gunna have cats but state reff is hella strict on mods arent they?
im doin a change over in my 91 notch and i dunoo if the mother fuckerz gunna nick pick me or wut soo tryin to keep it coo as possible

should have just got a stock 4 cat h pipe so you dont have to worry about it. if this is for a smog test, your most likey gonna have to go to a test only shop.

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

FONYPONY7o7
¯
Member # 7208

damm i was juss readin about the cross member and i got a lil pissed ----->
thats what I would assume too, but when you look at it the crossmember off the 5.0 extends a little bit more on the ends where it bolts onto the torque box
thats for real??? i havent droped mine in yet and was wondern if i need too trow one in ??????

two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

quote:
damm i was juss readin about the cross member and i got a lil pissed ----->
thats what I would assume too, but when you look at it the crossmember off the 5.0 extends a little bit more on the ends where it bolts onto the torque box
thats for real??? i havent droped mine in yet and was wondern if i need too trow one in ??????

huh? [Confused]
you talking about the tranny cross member? that doesnt move.

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

FONYPONY7o7
¯
Member # 7208

tha motor kross member?
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why are u going to a ref? just for a 4cyl conversion? not needed it is considered an engine swap not change [Wink]
two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

quote:
tha motor kross member?

k member? that doesnt move.

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

FONYPONY7o7
¯
Member # 7208

from a 4 clinder k member to a 5o member are they tha same?
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
from a 4 clinder k member to a 5o member are they tha same?

i would change the crossmember
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you do NOT need to go to a smog ref to smog a 4cyl to 5.0 swap car, you can test at any smog station anywhere, unless the registration directs you to a test only, then you need to smog at a test only (still not the ref).

and the K-member is EXACTLY the same between 4cyl and 5.0.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
you do NOT need to go to a smog ref to smog a 4cyl to 5.0 swap car, you can test at any smog station anywhere, unless the registration directs you to a test only, then you need to smog at a test only (still not the ref).

yah but as for as the spindles, rack and other suspension isn't it easier to just swap k-members???
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1FAST89GT:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

yah but as for as the spindles, rack and other suspension isn't it easier to just swap k-members???
spindles, rotors, calipers, pads, struts, and springs can be swapped by 4 bolts on each side [Confused]

the k-member would be a pain in the ass to move around with everything still bolted up to it, not to mention near impossible to line up the mounting holes having to move that much weight around.

do whatever you think is easiest though...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

just askin bud... it has been done both ways i was just curious

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com