Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » t-5 swap to t-56

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: t-5 swap to t-56
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what else do I have to do to put a 6 speed in my 1990 gt...still has stock drivetrain

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Posts: 834 | From: Oceanside, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anybody?

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pick up the latest copy of Mustang Muscle and Fast Fords (Jan 2007). They have whole article on this swap.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

the thing about that is im kinda stationed in japan and those magazines are impossible to come by out here

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check out d & d performance.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a pain the ass..

I just finished the same swap on my convertible.

You can get the trans. and swap kit from D&D performance, however, it doesn';t come with everything and it doesn't come with instructions.

there's a lot of work involved but here are some tips

plan on spending about $35-$3800 total depending on the clutch, flywheel, cable, fluid, and other miscellaneous items.

1) ONLY use GM syncromesh fluid in it...for some reason, mine seems to shift a ton smoother with it

2) once you pull your old trans and driveshaft out, measure the T-5 and T-56 in relation to mount tabs...DO NOT use the modified crossmember that D&D sends...it's pretty shitty....you'll have to cut and move your stock trans mounts about 6 inches towards the rear...you also need a different transmission mount when you do this...mine is for a 98 Chevy S-10

3) the driveshaft that I got from D&D was about an 1/8" too long so I had to have it cut and rebalanced..but it is a good driveshaft

4) you need a longer speedo cable...one out of a 96-98 GT works fine....

5) the bellhousing is not separable form the transmission so plan on raising the car WAY up in the air to get the transmission in...

6) might as well get a good clutch and flywheel combo..and you will HAVE to have an adjustable clutch cable and new clutch fork....

7) you'll also need a shifter handle because the stock one is not compatible....I'm using one out of an 03-04 cobra....but any aftermarket one will work okay...the trans. has a built in short shifter with stops and 3-4th action spring so I went with a stocker and actually like the feel...

8) with stock gears, you're going to be in 5th on the highway alot so I would suggest doing some better gears while you're at it like 3.55's or better....as an example...at 80 with stock 2.73's I was at 1600 rpm in 6th....way too sluggish...\

9) the transmission itself is much heavier so I wouldn't suggest doing this by yourself

hopefully this helps you at least plan on the job...once it is done though..you'll love it and probably never go back to anything else....

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

wow that is alot more than I had in mind haha, ok second question then do you know where to get a good deal on a t-56?
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Platinum Pony:
wow that is alot more than I had in mind haha, ok second question then do you know where to get a good deal on a t-56?

you can get them almost anywhere....but the best thing is to just get a brand new one...the reason being is the bellhousing is correct, the shifter is in the right place, and you get a warranty...

if you try and use one from like an 03/04 cobra,you'll spend about just as much as a brand new one because

1) you'll have to get the proper bellhousing
2) you'll have to drop about $400 on a driveshaft that fits right
3) you'll have to remount the shifter in the correct place
4) no warranty
5) you'll have to convert to a 26 spline clutch disc...

basically a lot of hassle

the best thing is to get a D&D kit that is specific for a foxbody...you'll save yourself a lot of headache

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com