Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how can you tell the diff.bet. hyd. & solid lifters?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how can you tell the diff.bet. hyd. & solid lifters?
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off, it's a c****. The motor is apart and I can't seem to get the lifters to depress/plunge. I also heard that since they are used and have oil in them, that this would cause it to be stiff. I want to be able to adjust these things properly. Is it possible to run solid lifters with a hydraulic cam [Razz] ?
[patriot]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you will have a spiders and the retainers if they are the oem hydro lifters. flat tapped lifters can spin freely so they wont have any kind of retainer. solid rollers are usually tied to their partner with a bar. pull one out. they should be springy, if not, theyre dead. very strange none of them would work, unless your engine doesnt build oil pressure, in which case, you have larger problems.
PonyXpress
¯
Member # 7084

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyXpress  Ford pictures for PonyXpress    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kingmoochr:
you will have a spiders and the retainers if they are the oem hydro lifters. flat tapped lifters can spin freely so they wont have any kind of retainer. solid rollers are usually tied to their partner with a bar. pull one out. they should be springy, if not, theyre dead. very strange none of them would work, unless your engine doesnt build oil pressure, in which case, you have larger problems.

+1

--------------------
89'GT Haulin' Ass
Nitrous Express ....My Heroes

Posts: 55 | From: Plumas Lake | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com