Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rack & Pinion Steering Problems

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rack & Pinion Steering Problems
925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925five.0  Ford pictures for 925five.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When im fdriving my car I literally have to use both hands and crank on the wheel. The steering is hard and not smooth/easy like it should be.

Would the rack and pinion affect turning. A shop said it needed to be replaced as well as the tie rod ends.

The power steering pump works fine no noises/etc.

925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925five.0  Ford pictures for 925five.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ttt
925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

any 1 [Confused]
JEs50
¯
Member # 5383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JEs50  Ford pictures for JEs50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just because the pump doesnt make any noise doesnt mean it's not out of fluid. Put some fluid in and than if it starts to make noises after the fluid has been in check the steering pump hoses. Than after that check the Rack and pinion. Rack and pinion is expensive if you get it done by a shop.

--------------------
1990 GT w/
Everything

925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

well theres fluid in it. pumps a reman unit works great but the rack itself is bad i was told because i hit a curb.
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well why did you do that?

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

gt1990gt
¯
Member # 7211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt1990gt  Ford pictures for gt1990gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ha ha

--------------------
1990 Mustang Gt
Blue 17'' 1993 Cobra wheels

Posts: 314 | From: Vacaville Ca | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

it was accidential only going like 15 mph tops and only rode up on it for a sec. but it threw off everything about the steering. what are you gonna do shit happens

[ November 23, 2006, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: 925five.0 ]

Greg M. Valdez
¯
Member # 7227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg M. Valdez  Ford pictures for Greg M. Valdez    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 925five.0:
When im fdriving my car I literally have to use both hands and crank on the wheel. The steering is hard and not smooth/easy like it should be.

Would the rack and pinion affect turning. A shop said it needed to be replaced as well as the tie rod ends.

The power steering pump works fine no noises/etc.

Yes, the rack & pinion are the critical parts to allow you to turn wheel. Inspect the rack for damage. Seems to me that if it is bent, it will not allow the pinion gear attatched to steering shaft to mesh smoothly, thus making it extremely hard for you to turn wheel. P41e-n-117418
Posts: 12 | From: banning, ca | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com