Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Daily Driver, 1990 Chevy Lumina HELP!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Daily Driver, 1990 Chevy Lumina HELP!
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay, so I recently acquired a 1990 Chevy Lumina sedan. It has a 3.1 V6 and 3-speed automatic. It was owned by an older woman whom took very good care of it (oil changes & tranny fluid changes every 3000 miles,etc.)but it has been sitting for a little while do to the fact she bought a new car and now drives it.

So, here's the deal. The car has 211,1??miles on it. Sometimes on start up it will rev for about 10 - 15 seconds then go back to normal idle. It also is only getting about 16mpg in town and 20mpg on the highway.

So my questions basically is, what is causing these problems? I have assumed the TPS & o2, so I have picked those items up and will be replacing them tomorrow.

Is there anything else anyone would suggest I should do (besides an engine rebuild [Razz] , that will come later..can we say cammed 3.4 stroker?)?

Thaks for any and all help.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you checked for codes? [Confused]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nope, not yet. I'm too cheap to buy a code scanner thingy and for some reason in this area AutoZone doesn't do it for you for free like the ones in Indiana do.

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nate! A OBD-I scanner can boe had for about $30.. at kragen, where I got mine from. And an OBD-II scanner would run you about 80-ish depending on how much you shop around. If you lived closer, you could borrow mine.

oh, and finish your mustang. [Razz]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Idle air controller. Had a Jeep do the same thing. Dealer said it needed a computer so I let them put one in with the stipulation that if the problem persisted they fix the car for free. Computer didn't fix the problem nor did the dealer. Anyways, $60 for a new IAC and all is well not the 2k the dealer wanted.

--------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
94GT: Sup dude!! Long time no type! How have you been? Yeah I understand they really aren't that expensive but I'm still too cheap to buy one. haha. I may have to cruise down there and use yours. ROAD TRIP! [dance] The stang is coming along slowly. I am thinking of going with a big block because I need to buy new motor mounts, headers, springs, etc. anyways. Might as well do something fun with it. [burnout]

Hozrr: Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll check that out tomorrow morning. [patriot]

Update: I put the TPS on and it's like a new car! My god, there is actually some power to it, it idles better, and doesn't rev like it did. I'm going to do the o2 sensor tomorrow and also check into that idle air controller thing.

Thank you for all the input. I really appreciate it.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com