Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » pi headswap install?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: pi headswap install?
tonster
¯
Member # 6093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonster  Ford pictures for tonster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm still piecing together my pi headswap, but how much would it cost to have it done and where? no p&p work, just a stock pi headswap.
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are u doing the PI intake too?

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
tonster
¯
Member # 6093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonster  Ford pictures for tonster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm doing pi heads, cams, and intake.
BLK02GT
¯
Member # 5653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK02GT  Ford pictures for BLK02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
from a personal experience..have someone YOU KNOW do it that is a mechanic or has done one before. it is a simple swap. unbolt, bolt on, then comes the timing which is the hardest part of everything...gotta make sure it is PERFECT! do u have everything you need? and i mean EVERYTHING? not just the intake, heads, cams. im talkin about the little pieces. for example, the coolant/heater tube that runs along side of the pi intake (not under like the non pi one), new head bolts (from ford), also new timing cover bolts (for 99-04GT..because the 96-98 bolts are too small). did u get the pi intake with or without the aluminum crossover?? if u did then you will have to tap a new hole for the fan or ECT sensor (pi intake only comes with one hole for a sensor while the non pi has 2)...if you didnt get the alum. crossover you will have to get a T-Fitting (from a local hardware store) and what i did was split the coolant tube off of the firewall, connected one end to the t-fitting then used a SMALL elbow fitting to connect the other end of the tubing (used the small elbow because the tube kept kinking with jus the t-fitting) make sure to get ALL new clamps (the easy screw ones), new head, intake gaskets,oil, coolant....i hope thats everything you need [Big Grin]

once again for the install, get someone you know to do it! i believe a lot of people on here know how to...i'd do it but i wouldnt be able to do the timing...i know JOHN B can do it. if you go to a shop they will charge you an arm and a leg for the install..got mine done for $500 [Big Grin]

--------------------
2019 Ford Expedition Limited
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Member #4241

Posts: 1247 | From: Tracy, ca | Registered: May 2005  |  :
SPEC -Fabrication
¯
Member # 4980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPEC -Fabrication  Ford pictures for SPEC -Fabrication    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a new set of headbolts from ford for you, contact JOHNB he has plenty of experince and is well know here. I'll take 15$ for the NEW headbolts

--------------------
1999 Saleen#124
1997 Tahoe
2006 ZX636R
CWS certified welder

Posts: 1321 | From: drinkin BEER! | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
tonster
¯
Member # 6093

i picked up windsor pi heads, does that make a difference? anyways, i'm still looking for a pi intake and a buddy of mine has a hookup at a ford dealer so hopefully i can get my gaskets and all the other pieces for cheap. i was also thinking about going with a aftermarket tb and plenum while i was at it. so i'm still pretty far away from getting my swap done, just trying to get a feel of much an install might be.

Red00GT, where did you get your swap done if you don't mind me asking?

90RanGer
¯
Member # 2906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90RanGer  Ford pictures for 90RanGer  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did the swap with the windsor heads. You will need the windsor valve covers and also need windsor timing cover bolts to replace the bolts that go through the timing cover and into the head.
Posts: 142 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
tonster
¯
Member # 6093

is there anything else i would need that is different from a regular pi headswap because i have windsor heads?
BLK02GT
¯
Member # 5653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK02GT  Ford pictures for BLK02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with the windsor heads (like i did as well) you need to 99-00 GT Valve Covers and the timing cover bolts. like i stated above.

i got mine done from a guy off of "the-stallions" website. his name is Frank. i was referred to him by someone off of here. took me awhile to get mine done because i forgot to get the timing cover bolts, and Ford swore they didnt know what bolts i was talking about even when i pointed to the picture and showed them which ones....idiots...anyways, he did it. woulda been done in a weekend but i forgot my bolts. shouldnt take someone MORE than a weekend to do it. like said before contact JOHN B, he for sure knows how to do it.

--------------------
2019 Ford Expedition Limited
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Member #4241

Posts: 1247 | From: Tracy, ca | Registered: May 2005  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a relatively simple swap. As stated, make sure you use NEW headbolts. They are torque-to-yield and do stretch. If you want to save some $ and do it yourself, we can set something up and I'd be happy to set the cams up for you. Just let me know.

I've got the intake, with the aluminum crossover. It's complete and ready to go. Lemme know if you're interested.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
tonster
¯
Member # 6093

how difficult is the swap in general? other than the cams, is it a fairly straightforward job? the mechanical experience i have is limited to what i've done on my car (midpipe, catback, springs, struts/shocks, npi intake with aluminum crossover to replace my cracked one, pulleys, and other bolt ons) so would i be able to do something like this with some time and patience?
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya just make sure u have time and patience and don't rush anything and hopefully u have another car to drive
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com