Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ???DSS Motor Questions???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ???DSS Motor Questions???
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am looking into buying a DSS short block.. I was thinking about getting their 331 stroker bullit short block. I was wondering..
(1)Is that a good motor?

(2)Will twisted wedge heads from my old 302 work on it?

(3) Will that motor be able to handle a 100-125 shot of nitrous no problem with a good tune?

(4) I have a TFS stage one cam.. Will that be a good cam for it or should i go with somthing bigger?

(5)Is that motor worth it or should the extra 800+ dollars be spent for the Pro Bullit Block?

Im using the car for street use and the occasional drag night.. but want to get a stroker.
Also why is a 331 better than a 302? whats the Power difference?

[ November 12, 2006, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: PopTheHood ]

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PopTheHood:
I am looking into buying a DSS short block.. I was thinking about getting their 331 stroker bullit short block. I was wondering..
(1)Is that a good motor?

(2)Will twisted wedge heads from my old 302 work on it?

(3) Will that motor be able to handle a 100-125 shot of nitrous no problem with a good tune?

(4) I have a TFS stage one cam.. Will that be a good cam for it or should i go with somthing bigger?

(5)Is that motor worth it or should the extra 800+ dollars be spent for the Pro Bullit Block?

Im using the car for street use and the occasional drag night.. but want to get a stroker.
Also why is a 331 better than a 302? whats the Power difference?

1. They are OK. They use pretty good component's but their assembly is questionable at times.

2.Head's will work. Make sure to tell them what head's You are planning on using.

3.Yes should handle 125 shot

4.Why would You want to put a used cam in a new shortblock? Plus that cam would be on the small side for a stroker.

5.If the pro bullit is a stock block that they machine etc. then no it is not worth it.

6.Stroker will produce more torque & horsepower compared to a standard 302-306. If You end up ordering the 306 specify that You want a 306 or they might send You a 308 like they did to Me.

Just reread Your post if You do get an engine from them then the pro bullit is a good idea. Also do some research on cam's cause they did'nt give Me any help with picking mine out, although it was 5 year's ago and thing's might have changed since then.

[ November 12, 2006, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: SmokinLX ]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks... Good point about the cam.. but my heads cam only have 600 miles on it.
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would run something with quite a bit more lift and duration. I think that TFS stage 1 cam specs out right around .500 lift with 1.6 rockers. Keep in mind that you are trying to fill over 10% more displacement. Are you trying to use something that maintains smoggability?

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Smog doesn't matter
cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have one and it works great! would buy again!
custom cam and blower! If I had to do over I would go 331 or 347 more horses plain and simple!

[ November 23, 2006, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: cdog301 ]

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PopTheHood:
Smog doesn't matter

Then definitely go with a bigger bumpstick.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
PonyXpress
¯
Member # 7084

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyXpress  Ford pictures for PonyXpress    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Personal experience....They have good products and the motor will handle what you seem to be after. I've seen the pro bullit last under extreme conditions for quite a while too. 125 no problem at all, as long as the tune is right, but that holds true for any nitrous combo. They don't recommend it but that motor will hold their recommended power level forever, and it will take 150-200 horsepower more on the odd occassion, if the stakes are high enough....trust me.

--------------------
89'GT Haulin' Ass
Nitrous Express ....My Heroes

Posts: 55 | From: Plumas Lake | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com