Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 331 vs 347 (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 331 vs 347
STREETFIGHTER50
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My bad, I meant, what's the most miles anyone has ever gotten out of a 347 stroker before having to rebuild?

Another Q. My 331 has 10.5:1 compression with the AFR 185 61cc heads. If I was to have the 58cc heads instead, where would the compression be at then?

[ November 13, 2006, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: STREETFIGHTER50 ]

:
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STREETFIGHTER50:
My bad, I meant, what's the most miles anyone has ever gotten out of a 347 stroker before having to rebuild?

Another Q. My 331 has 10.5:1 compression with the AFR 185 61cc heads. If I was to have the 58cc heads instead, where would the compression be at then?

Your comp. would be right around 11:1

As for milage, there is no reason a well built 347 wont run as long as any other well maintained motor.

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
My next round of mods will be a better block, rods and crank. Then a nice little 200 shot. [Smile]

When is that gona happen? 6 months?? [Big Grin] [patriot]

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX':
quote:
My next round of mods will be a better block, rods and crank. Then a nice little 200 shot. [Smile]

When is that gona happen? 6 months?? [Big Grin] [patriot]
WTF?!

How did you know?! [Confused]

--------------------
AED

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yeah. I like my little AED built 331. It scoots around pretty good. If I were to do it again I would have went with a 342/347 set-up. I was gona try to when I had the motor gone through. But I had all the parts for a 331 already and felt it was more wallet friendly to stick with what I had. Like I said I would have gona bigger if I could have at the time. Next time around it WILL be a Dart block, and at the very very least it will be a 347.

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

quote:
Oh yeah. I like my little AED built 331. It scoots around pretty good. If I were to do it again I would have went with a 342/347 set-up. I was gona try to when I had the motor gone through. But I had all the parts for a 331 already and felt it was more wallet friendly to stick with what I had. Like I said I would have gona bigger if I could have at the time. Next time around it WILL be a Dart block, and at the very very least it will be a 347.

You are the only AED car not in the 10's. You need to get your shit together. [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
AED

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Remind me to call Walt tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah and I need to fill the bottle. Then I could be close to the top of the AED List [Confused]

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

quote:
Remind me to call Walt tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah and I need to fill the bottle. Then I could be close to the top of the AED List [Confused]

I'm going to guess you'll run a 10.93 [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
AED

STREETFIGHTER50
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
11:1 compression still run with 91 octane?
:
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

quote:
Originally posted by STREETFIGHTER50:
11:1 compression still run with 91 octane?

I do. [Smile]

--------------------
AED

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

quote:
quote:

You'r an asshole!

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard someone mention AD Performance. I have actually ordered a shortblock that I think will be pretty nice. I ordered it from Brian at AD Performance. I am using a Dart Sportsman 4.125" bore block. It will be 347 cubes with a 3.25" Scat forged crank. Forged H-beam rods and Probe 20.6cc dish pistons to keep the compression under 9:1 with my 60cc heads. I am also getting a custom cam. I want a good foundation so I can throw anything at it in the future.

For now, I am out of money so here is where you guys will laugh at me. NA, this thing will not go very good. I am shooting for 12.50 @ around 110mph. The reason is that I am going to bolt my box stock Edelbrock 1.90/1.60 Performers on it along with my Cobra intake. It should be a torque monster and will have quite a bit of power when I throw some boost at it. I thought an NA 363 would have been nice with a good set of heads and intake, but how hard would it be to make it pass smog. I figure a blown 347 can be built mild so it will have nice street manners, pass smog, and still put down good #'s at the track. If I put a cage in and upgrade the heads and intake in the future, this thing will be able to go really fast. I will also have to upgrade the fuel system, tranny, rearend, etc!

ETA on the motor is January. It should be at Infineon in March when the Wednesday night races start back up. I can't wait!!

Craig

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
PonyXpress
¯
Member # 7084

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyXpress  Ford pictures for PonyXpress    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think both motors are great depending on what block you use. I've got a small shot on a DSS shortblock 331 that ranks in the top five of the fifty fastest, so naturally I'm parsial to what I know. Future plans are to go with the big bore DART out to 363 and haul ass with a 302 based engine. I'll live my life with a small block and run all the big block boys out of town. As for the cam, I would definitely go with a custom grind from a reputable cam designer...Jay Allen (Camshaft innovations), Ed Curtis (Flowtech induction), and maybe cammotion whom I have no experience with. Don't spend crazy money on the engine and buy an OTF (off the shelf) cam, you'll hate yourself for it. I went through three OTS cams and finally went custom and will never go back. Custom grind netted 1 sec in the quarter, first pass/only pass....Will begin the tuning adventure when I upgrade the brakes...need to be able to stop the beast.

--------------------
89'GT Haulin' Ass
Nitrous Express ....My Heroes

Posts: 55 | From: Plumas Lake | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Sound's about rite [Razz] . JK good luck with it. [burnout]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com