Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help!!! Help!!!!! please any machanic.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help!!! Help!!!!! please any machanic.
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well tryied to start my car and it wouldent start like the timing was off so i advanced the distributor/turned it a little and it started then i had to put timeing back to 12* and it runs good and starts up fine every time, then i let it sit for a week then try to start it and it wont start again, i have to move the distributor to get it to start then put timeing back to 12*, what could be the problem???

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Posts: 2860 | From: Richmond / Valley jo/ Petaluma | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Danny6590
¯
Member # 6289

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny6590  Ford pictures for Danny6590    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was the distributor removed for any reason prior to this happening? Is the distributor tighten down correctly? What car is it for and engine size. When you set timing if for v-8 302 are you removing the little inline plastic plug for the distributor wiring?
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the distributor had not ben moved since the last time it ran, the distributor is on tight, its a 91 5.0 and i did remove the spout connector when i timed it. it will run good all day and start up fine until i let it sit for like a week then it happens again. what could it be???

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

dose anyone know???

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

ttt

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds pretty strange. I would get an in-line spark tester and make sure that you are getting spark.

I could be some sort of loose connection or intermittant problem with the TFI module. I couldn't imagine how the timing could get all fucked up by itself [Confused]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a fuel probblem, try priming the fuel pump a few times before you start it.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

well i dont think its fuel cause the car starts fine and run fine once i get it going, just drove it today and it had no problems driveing or starting but its parked now and if i dont drive it until next saturday it wont start until i move the distributor. [Confused]

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

ttt

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm gonna guess weak battery or starter. Probably battery. It's not holding a charge over a long period of non-use. By turning back the distributor, your giving it more of a chance of starting by retarding the timing. Once it's run long enough, the battery gets charged up. It doesn't lose it's charge over a couple of hours of sitting, but a couple of days, yeah. Try putting a trickle charger on it, or put a battery charger on it a few hours before you start it next time. If it starts up no problem, then I say that it's the battery.
Oh, check your terminals and posts. Maybe clean them off. It MAY just be that a cold engine is needing a bit more amperage, adnthe terminals are corroded enough to not let it happen.
Pretty common this time of year...
Dennis

[ December 14, 2005, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: a50sn95 ]

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

well i thought it was the battery so i tryed to give it a jump with my other car and it did nothing, still didn't want to start, so i moved the distributor some and it started, could it be the distributor? or the computer or the battery is too low to take a jump?

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

ttt

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

89SC50
¯
Member # 6248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SC50  Ford pictures for 89SC50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure the battery has got enough water in it.
Posts: 185 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

i tryed to give it a jump and it wouldent start so i kept advanceing the distributor then it started, it only happens when i let the car sit for a week but once i start it and lower the timeing back down it will start up every time whenever i shut it off unless i let the car sit for about three to four days.

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Dag302
¯
Member # 4682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dag302  Ford pictures for Dag302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was reading the new 5.0 magazine and a guy had a problem not quite like yours but I thought it migh help. Have you tried removing the distributor and cleaning it. They said a quic fix that works a lot is just pulling the dist and shooting lubricating oil on the rotor shaft and then working it back and forth. I was just thinking you might have some dirt or residual build up in there that you partially brake free every time by adjusting the timing. Just a thought.

--------------------
04 Expedition 4X4
93 Cobra #822
96 Cobra

Posts: 2842 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

ill try cleanig it and see what happens, anything else it could be??

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

ttt

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Dynoman
Member # 6061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dynoman  Ford pictures for Dynoman  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you advance the timing for the car to start, does the car blubber and emit fuel smoke when it is first running and then clean up? If not I recommend that you pull the distributor and look at the teeth on the gear, they are known to wear and get thin and stop in one spot as most engines do. common with the wrong gear material on a roller cam.. Just a thought

--------------------
Auto Repair Rohnert Park
Dyno tuning north bay
performance engines bay area
machine shop nor cal
www.rpmeng.com & www.dynotuning.com

Posts: 6 | From: Rohnert Park, ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

ttt

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

well i started the car again and i had to move the distributor to get it to start but for some reason while it was running and i check the timeing the harmonic balencer was not showing the numbers, it was showing the blank part of the balencer so when i move the distributor to the numbers it will shut off.insted of pulling the spout out and seeing the numbers on the balencer im seeing the other side of the balencer wich has no numbers on it, what could it be??

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

anyone????

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com