Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP ME!! car wont start!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP ME!! car wont start!!!
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23boy5.0  Ford pictures for 23boy5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this is the story. 1987 ford mustang 5.0 5 speed

my car started acting up last week. it would drive fine then it would cut off while i was driving, so i took it to my homie to take a look at it (he owns a shop) he said it could be my map sensor, Ignition mudule, burnt spark plug wire, etc. basically something electrical.

a few days ago it shut off on me but didnt start back up. i tried to compression start it (it is a 5-speed) and that wouldnt work, so i walked to kragen to get some spark plug wires, distributer cap, and rotor. after i changed the burnt wire and it wouldnt start. so i changed the spark plug wire connecting to the ignition coil and it started right up.

After all that i got home and now it doesnt start AT ALL. i think the problem is the ignition module, or the ignition coil,

IS THERE ANY MORE ADVICE? i already ordered an ignition module from summit racing today, please help me out it is my only car right now and i have to go to work, thanks [Confused]

23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23boy5.0  Ford pictures for 23boy5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HELP!!
jadesville
¯
Member # 5885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jadesville  Ford pictures for jadesville  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Autozone has some decent information. These modules going out are sort of common.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/17/fc/6e/0900823d8017fc6e.jsp

[ December 09, 2005, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: jadesville ]

--------------------
1968 Hardtop Coupe

Posts: 229 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
early signs of a fuel pump going out maybe?
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

if its a feul pump, would'nt it be sputtering, bcuz it doesnt do that
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 23boy5.0:
if its a feul pump, would'nt it be sputtering, bcuz it doesnt do that

it would start and sputter then shut off
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Turn the ignition to the ON position and listen to see if the fuel pump is running. If you don't hear it then that's probably what it is.

My dad had a similar issue with his '89 GT. Turned out to be the TFI module.

EDIT: If it's not the fuel pump then I would test to make sure you are getting spark. You can buy an in-line spark tester for a few bucks. This will help you isolate it down to fuel or spark.

[patriot]

[ December 09, 2005, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
89SC50
¯
Member # 6248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SC50  Ford pictures for 89SC50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea check the TFI, also the starter relay it can give you intermitant problems when it goes out.
Posts: 185 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
hockeyguy713
¯
Member # 5354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hockeyguy713  Ford pictures for hockeyguy713    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
had a similar problem with my 91 GT. you're just going to have to check all common problems. 92stanglx was right, probably replace the TFI module, same with checking the fuel pump. Replacing the starter relay is worth a shot too.

--------------------
91 GT

Danny6590
¯
Member # 6289

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny6590  Ford pictures for Danny6590    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TFI control module and starter relay would most likely be the bad ones. I have had this happen a few times with ford cars and trucks. Change those two and you should be back in business.
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

ok, i installed the new tfi module and still nuthing, i still dont think im getting any spark
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, have you actually checked for spark? It might be a good idea rather than throwing parts at it.

When you installed the TFI module, you did use the correct insulating sealant, right?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

yes i used the correct sealant, how do i check my spark, and what do i do if i dont have a spark?
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

how do i check for spark anyway?
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, you COULD pull a plug wire and stick it on your tongue, you know, like checking 9 volt batteries. Just have a buddy crank it over...
Sorry, couldn't resist. But hey, if you DON'T have spark, all is cool. (Really, please don't do it this way...)
Seriously, a quick test is to pull a plug wire, slide the boot up a bit if you can, and hold the exposed terminal close to a piece of metal on the engine. Have someone crank it over. You should see a fairly bright arc of electricity. If you can't slide the boot up, use the end of a screwdriver to touch the terminal up in the boot, and hold the exposed shaft closed to metal on the engine.
You don't have a pacemaker, do you?
TRY NOT to touch the metal yourself. It'll hurt, but it shouldn't kill you....

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
it would start and sputter then shut off

Actually, no. If there is no fuel pressure the computer cuts spark. No sputtering. Mine would drive down the road fine, and just shutoff. After a few minutes it would fire back up just fine,
Anyway, when you turn on the key, the pump runs for a few seconds until the system is pressurized, and then shuts off unless you start the engine. One way to check for a bad pump it to turn the key on, but don't start the engine. If the pump just keeps running, it's bad. It should shut off after a few seconds....

89SC50
¯
Member # 6248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SC50  Ford pictures for 89SC50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
starter relay
Posts: 185 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com