Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » car running too lean

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: car running too lean
1988Stang
¯
Member # 6280

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1988Stang  Ford pictures for 1988Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an 88 Stang with a 302 5.0 Mass-air.
The motor; 10 to 1 forged bottom end, E303 camshaft and roller lifters, E7TE heads ported and polished and new 3 angle valve job, Edelbrock intake manifold upper and lower, 70mm throttle body and EGR, roller rockers 1.6, K&N air filter and intake pipe. I have the crank to cam set up at 0 with no advancement, and i have the timing set at 16 Degress BTDC. I am running autolite spark plugs (24). I just resently put a Proflow 76mm mass-air meter and matched with 30 pound ford racing injectors in it. Then i put a 190LPH fuel pump in the tank. The fuel pressure is set at 45 but runs better at 50. When i put it down at 40 the cars runs bad feeling like it is running way to lean and tops out at 5000 rpms. When at 50 psi the motor pulls strong to 6500. The car is still running to lean, the plugs are white with no color. Motor has 500 miles since i built it. I am asking for anyones help if they have any suggestions.

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Reading plugs is tricky, especially on an EFI car.
The trick is that the plugs only indicate the LAST operating condition of the engine. Meaning you can go out and blast around, but when you come home and let the car idle in the driveway, THAT's what the plugs are going to be showing you. Which will be lean. The way it's done is to go do a WOT blast, and cut off the engine and coast to the spot you are going to check the plugs. THEN you'll get a more accurate reading.
OR, just spend some bucks and get a wideband....

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1988Stang:
I have an 88 Stang with a 302 5.0 Mass-air.
The motor; 10 to 1 forged bottom end, E303 camshaft and roller lifters, E7TE heads ported and polished and new 3 angle valve job, Edelbrock intake manifold upper and lower, 70mm throttle body and EGR, roller rockers 1.6, K&N air filter and intake pipe. I have the crank to cam set up at 0 with no advancement, and i have the timing set at 16 Degress BTDC. I am running autolite spark plugs (24). I just resently put a Proflow 76mm mass-air meter and matched with 30 pound ford racing injectors in it. Then i put a 190LPH fuel pump in the tank. The fuel pressure is set at 45 but runs better at 50. When i put it down at 40 the cars runs bad feeling like it is running way to lean and tops out at 5000 rpms. When at 50 psi the motor pulls strong to 6500. The car is still running to lean, the plugs are white with no color. Motor has 500 miles since i built it. I am asking for anyones help if they have any suggestions.

Welcome to the site. Is the car pinging or popping? Did the car run fine before You changed the pump and inj? If You have the E cam there is no way You are pulling hard to 6500 as the E cam is making peak hp at 5800 rpm and shifting at 6000. If You have the stock tach in Your car then that is why You are getting the rpm You described.
[patriot]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com