Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need advice on a new blower combo

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need advice on a new blower combo
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is my first attempt at putting together a blower car so I need some direction. Here is what I already have:

'90 shortblock, looks clean, supposedly 90k miles

GT-40X heads, seriously ported on the exhaust, pocket ported and just freshened by Top of the Hill Race Cars in Livermore

1.6 FR roller rockers

GT-40 intake, all stock with 70mm TB and EGR plate

Powerdyne 6lb blower-brand new

Shortie headers and full 2.5" exhaust

I know that these parts may not be optimum, but I already have them. The intake cannot be changed due to hood clearance (it's not in a Mustang). Everything else is fair game...

Let me know what kind of MAF, injectors, cam, tune, etc I should use. I want to make a lot of power and still be reliable. Smog is not an issue.

Or should I just sell all my shit and buy a nice Camry instead of living around piles of car parts and bathing in Fast Orange?

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would run a S-Trim instead of the Powerdyne. I have not heard very many good things about those blowers. Also, you are probably ok cranking the boost up to 8lbs.

I would get a set of 42 lb injectors, SCT Maf, and SCT custom tune (jeffs).

Getting a custom cam would be the best choice. However, if you wanted to get a off the shelf cam then the TFS stage 1 is a good chioce. Your power is probably going to drop off at around 5500 rpms with that GT40 intake so get a cam that matches that power band.

Oh yeah, definitely DON'T get a Camry I would rather be a greasy mother fucker than have to drive one of those things [Big Grin]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Phil,

Use a Stage 1 TFS cam or B with 1.7's, 30's and a MAF or your choice (with the parts you listed). You can't go much bigger on the cam without a spring swap. You'll be plenty happy with the results.

What's it going in???

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The combo is going into a 280Z that has a 302 which has been tucked deep into the firewall , as deep as a GT-40 intake will allow. I tried a Cobra intake for shits and giggles and it didn't clear the hood latch. Of course, it could be modded...

The heads have been upgraded with high lift Comp springs that have less than 1k on them. I guess I could run more cam but I would probably be limited by the intake. I'd say that the existing exhaust and the lack of intake clearance are limiting total power, but in a car that weighs 3,000 lb wet, 500hp is probably about all that I can put to the ground with stock-style z-car suspension.

I just don't want to buy parts twice. I have enough extra shit already.

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

So I guess I'll pick up a TFS cam since it appears to be quite a popular performer. Would 36lb injectors be a decent choice?
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They may end up being a bit small. I had to bump upto 42's on my Strim H/C/I setup
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

What brand of MAF is reccommended in this case?
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by phildog:
What brand of MAF is reccommended in this case?

Lot's of people useing lightning's but they require a tune. If You can find a pro m that would work. [burnout]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com