Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » smog help (C.A.R.B #)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: smog help (C.A.R.B #)
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok yesterday my wife took the 5.0 to get smog since it's able to, ok i have a mac h pipe with two cats and mac cat back made to dumps, so the smog place told her that the car is missing two cats and she had already paid cause the car had already had passed most of the test, i know for a fact that the car can passed smog with that h-pipe and i'm going back today but i need the C.A.R.B # for that h pipe and i can't find it.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can try looking here:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

Otherwise just give MAC a call and have them give it to you. I'm not sure if those H-pipes are CARB approved though [Confused]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cats don't have CARB #s, they are considered stock replacement parts. Although, you are required to retain the same number of cats as you had stock. Take it to a different shop, usually they don't check that closely

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're not going to like my answer...
Nope. There are no "legal" h-pipes for our cars. Meaning there are no h-pipes with CARB numbers. If you look, they all say "49-state" legal. If they had a CARB number, they'd be 50 state legal. Even Magnaflow, which SAYS theirs is 50 state legal, doesn't provide a CARB number, which means it's never been certified on a car. They're just referring to the fact that the CONVERTERS in the pipe are legal if you use them to replace a bad converter in your stock pipe, and it will pass the technical part of the test. It's the visual part you are trying to get around, now.
This basically comes down to the Technician doing your smog. He was probably jealous that your wife drove a better car than he did. The way the laws are written, he can fail you for only 2 converters. I don't know an easy way for you to get around this, especially at that shop. If you have the stock H-pipe, put it back on. If not, beg, borrow, or steal one from someone.
Or, just blow this shop off, and find another one that's not so.....
Or, fork over some bucks for a muffler shop to put on 2 more cats. (not a good option)
If it were me, I'd find another shop. Ask around on here. That's likely be the least expensive at this point.
Sorry....
FWIW, Some people buy a used stock H-pipe for their cars, and swap it every 2 years. Since a catted h-pipe would be pointless, they just use an off-road h pipe the rest of the time. If they COULD smog an aftermarket pipe, they'd have bought one. So instead, some people run around with an off-road pipe. If the state could see their way to allow those pipes, the air would actually be cleaner. Thy're just shooting themselves in the foot....

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah like everyone else has said technically your supposed to have four cats on that car. I guess the penalties for smog techs are high enough now that more and more are trying to do it right.

I also agree that you should never buy catted x/h pipes, just get the off road one and keep your stock setup and swap it on every two years.

a50sn95...just curious, what kind of setup should the state allow that would make the air cleaner?

[ December 01, 2005, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by a50sn95:
If the state could see their way to allow those pipes, the air would actually be cleaner. Thy're just shooting themselves in the foot....

Are you serious? Did you ever live in the 60's and 70s? Could you ever see the hills or mountains, didn't think so. You have no idea. Off-road pipes are bad for the air.

--------------------
Bring It . . .

89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just go to a different shop. Its all about the smog tech. Some are on your side and want you to pass, and some are just chumps and love flunking you for "their" own reasons. But technically, you are not supposed to deviate from orig. stock design,- 4 cats- but you have to be up on your mustangs to know that. Go somewhere else and ask them to do a visual before you pay.
This is my oppinion...

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by a50sn95:
You're not going to like my answer...
Nope. There are no "legal" h-pipes for our cars. Meaning there are no h-pipes with CARB numbers. If you look, they all say "49-state" legal. If they had a CARB number, they'd be 50 state legal. Even Magnaflow, which SAYS theirs is 50 state legal, doesn't provide a CARB number, which means it's never been certified on a car. They're just referring to the fact that the CONVERTERS in the pipe are legal if you use them to replace a bad converter in your stock pipe, and it will pass the technical part of the test. It's the visual part you are trying to get around, now.
This basically comes down to the Technician doing your smog. He was probably jealous that your wife drove a better car than he did. The way the laws are written, he can fail you for only 2 converters. I don't know an easy way for you to get around this, especially at that shop. If you have the stock H-pipe, put it back on. If not, beg, borrow, or steal one from someone.
Or, just blow this shop off, and find another one that's not so.....
Or, fork over some bucks for a muffler shop to put on 2 more cats. (not a good option)
If it were me, I'd find another shop. Ask around on here. That's likely be the least expensive at this point.
Sorry....
FWIW, Some people buy a used stock H-pipe for their cars, and swap it every 2 years. Since a catted h-pipe would be pointless, they just use an off-road h pipe the rest of the time. If they COULD smog an aftermarket pipe, they'd have bought one. So instead, some people run around with an off-road pipe. If the state could see their way to allow those pipes, the air would actually be cleaner. Thy're just shooting themselves in the foot....

That's kinda what I thought too. I have passed smog w/ my MAC catted h-pipe.

Take it to another shop and ask them to do a visual before you pay [patriot]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
since my wife had already payed i guess i have to go back there and get my money back or just put my stock one back on, I just really hate doing the whole swap shit, oh well i guess i have no other choice.

Thanks guys [Cool]

[ December 01, 2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: losbadgts ]

--------------------

X97headswap
¯
Member # 5210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for X97headswap  Ford pictures for X97headswap    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
At least you aren't required to have 6 cats like I did on my 97GT!!!!!!!!!!!That has to be some kind of a record! Good luck...........
Posts: 181 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nomanrz, he's saying that if they would allow aftermarket X/H pipes with cats people would use them instead of running pipes with no cats at all, and just putting stock ones on for smog.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
magnaflow sells a carb # legal H-pipe and X-pipe with cats, check magnaflow.com and see for yourself [patriot]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
X97headswap
¯
Member # 5210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for X97headswap  Ford pictures for X97headswap    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
QUOTE: magnaflow sells a carb # legal H-pipe and X-pipe with cats, check magnaflow.com and see for yourself.

That's a little mis-leading. While the cats themselves may be legal, the "setup isn't. If your car came with (4) cats from the factory, it has to have (4) cats PERIOD. Call them and ask if their x-pipe w/ (2) cats has an E.O. #, it won't. It isn't possible because they are altering an emission device. Deleting (2) cats is considered tampering/removing an emission device, and therefore illegal. [patriot]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by X97headswap:
QUOTE: magnaflow sells a carb # legal H-pipe and X-pipe with cats, check magnaflow.com and see for yourself.

That's a little mis-leading. While the cats themselves may be legal, the "setup isn't. If your car came with (4) cats from the factory, it has to have (4) cats PERIOD. Call them and ask if their x-pipe w/ (2) cats has an E.O. #, it won't. It isn't possible because they are altering an emission device. Deleting (2) cats is considered tampering/removing an emission device, and therefore illegal. [patriot]

I called them and they said the H and X pipes do have a CARB# and if a smog tech fails it on visual they will call the smog tech for me. They 100% stand behind their claim of 50state legal.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

X97headswap
¯
Member # 5210

The 88 GT's must not have (4) cats like stated above then. Either the earlier GT's don't have (4) cats, or CARB doesn't care about the removal of cats on an OBD I car. I know on OBD II cars you need the same amount of cats that the car came with, and they have to be OEM or OEM replacements. I'd be interested to know what the deal is.....
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by X97headswap:
The 88 GT's must not have (4) cats like stated above then. Either the earlier GT's don't have (4) cats, or CARB doesn't care about the removal of cats on an OBD I car. I know on OBD II cars you need the same amount of cats that the car came with, and they have to be OEM or OEM replacements. I'd be interested to know what the deal is.....

all 5.0's have 4 cats from the factory.

yes, OBDII has different rules, I couldn't even use a magnaflow cat on my truck when the cat went bad, I brought one to the muffler shop and they handed me a printed paper notice of the requirements for OBDII (96+) cars in regaurds to replacing the cat, OEM only $700 for my truck...

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lesson number Never send a woman to the shop with a car alone no matter what has to be done to it period! [Mad]

--------------------
1992 Notch
Dss Pro Bullet
Afr 165's
GT40 U/L
Bassani X w/cats
and other goodies!!!!!!!
I love MOSTLY MUSTANGS OAKLAND CA

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:

I called them and they said the H and X pipes do have a CARB# and if a smog tech fails it on visual they will call the smog tech for me. They 100% stand behind their claim of 50state legal. [/QUOTE]
The smog tech can fail you for any reason he wants no matter whos on the phone. He may not like the color of your shirt that day for that matter..
It all comes down to the tech. They have the right to refuse service. Some are car guys and are into you passing,- and some are like Chevy guys or something and arent real pleased with your car from the getgo. Doomed.
My oppinion.

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I haven't checked this in a while, but yeah, my response to Jimbo is that the H-pipe should be legal if it passes the tailpipe test. I'm sure the Magnaflow and Bassani cats are FAR better than what came stock, and if they we allowed on a car, then that person might be willing to get a catted H-pipe.
And for some cars the OEM replacement h-pipe is upwards of 2 grand. What is that person going to do when it fails. The car will get parked because it can't "pass" smog. That's the states current method of cleaning the air. Get the old cars off the road.
Technically, I think ANY car that still passes the tailpipe sniffer should be allowed in California. Instead we are found GUILTY before the car is even tested.

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another cheap alternate is to weld fake enclosures to get a total count of 4 [Wink] Much cheaper then having to buy a stock pipe or actually welding on two additional cats...

I seriously think that smog should just stick to the sniffer check. I mean that is what is important...as far as clean air goes [Roll Eyes]

[ December 07, 2005, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well.. we swapped his hpipe for the stock unit last night. now, it should pass with flying colors. [patriot]

--------------------
=(

cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JMIR018

Hey man The coupe passed smog with flying colors monday! Are you redy for the final?
Later
C

[ December 07, 2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: cdog301 ]

--------------------
1992 Notch
Dss Pro Bullet
Afr 165's
GT40 U/L
Bassani X w/cats
and other goodies!!!!!!!
I love MOSTLY MUSTANGS OAKLAND CA

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

quote:
Originally posted by cdog301:
Lesson number Never send a woman to the shop with a car alone no matter what has to be done to it period! [Mad]

well I didn't send her she decided to go for me cause i have been really busy lately.

--------------------

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cdog301:
JMIR018

Hey man The coupe passed smog with flying colors monday! Are you redy for the final?
Later
C

what's up man,
I'm ready for our final.. today i spent 4 hours going over the chapters .. key terms and such.
The only one i could not find was Tennesse vs garner. did you find that one?

I still have to prepare for another class i'm taking with the same teacher.. seems like it'll be a long night.

--------------------
=(

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com