Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » anyone know about bypass valves?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone know about bypass valves?
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
supercharged 331 un-tuned

ran fine untill recently the bypass valve tube kept blowing out of the power pipe. i tried several sylicones but none worked until i JB welded the tube in the power pipe. but now the idle is all messed up like sylicone is blocking the bypass valve. the car is idling at anywhere from 1,500 to 2,000. so i accedently broke the bypass valve off and when it came out the idle dropped back down to normal. does this sound like a bad bypass valve or should i be looking at something else?

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would check the valve and make sure the lid is opening and closing inside i have 480rwhp 331 tuned novi2k with bypass and it works great and im using the stock bypass it has a plastic valve id check that first. imo [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heres what mine looks like if this helps...

-

--------------------

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

oh just realized you said the power pipe side my bad on the power pipe its just clamped on id def. check the vlave if its stuck. good luck. [patriot]

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you've got a bad valve. Is it ripping the threads off the insert, or is the hose coming off the insert?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
triple black hatch
CAFords OG
Member # 5420

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple black hatch  Ford pictures for triple black hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i noticed the bypass is missing on my s/c is just plugged is that a problem?

[ November 27, 2005, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: 50-charge ]

Posts: 1409 | From: (650)-(209) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow i had this exact thread on corral for 3 days and nobody even responded to it yet. thanks guys.

it was blowing out of the power pipe before i JB welded in into the power pipe now it makes the car idle all wrong. its just the regular bosch plastic valve, ive looked on summit but all that i can find on there are polished valves and race valves. where can i find just the regular bosch bypass valve?

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can buy the standard ones from www.superchargersonline.com [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

You can buy the standard ones from www.superchargersonline.com [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I remember monument car parts has that bypass valve instock, at least 8 years ago. It should have a part number on it.
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

damn, 64 bucks for that little thing, but i noticed something when i was looking at purpnotch's pics. my bypass valve is hooked up oposite. now common sense says minemust be wrong, but can they run either way?

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what type of supercharger are you running. I have a SQ and a power pipe and my set up looks different than purple notch's. He has a Novi 2000. If you are going to get a new bypass valve try to get the 110 it has the brass internal parts in the bypass not just the black plastic it is suposed to be a little better. BTW I have a stock replacment brand new I would sell you for 40.00

[ November 28, 2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

triple black hatch
CAFords OG
Member # 5420

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple black hatch  Ford pictures for triple black hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where does the bottom hose of the bypass connect to?
Posts: 1409 | From: (650)-(209) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

quote:
Originally posted by 50-charge:
where does the bottom hose of the bypass connect to?

are you asking about purplenotch's picture or on my set up? the bottom hose on purplenotch's pic goes to the intake after the air filter but before the blower.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
what type of supercharger are you running. I have a SQ and a power pipe and my set up looks different than purple notch's. He has a Novi 2000. If you are going to get a new bypass valve try to get the 110 it has the brass internal parts in the bypass not just the black plastic it is suposed to be a little better. BTW I have a stock replacment brand new I would sell you for 40.00

i just need to get the car running right so i can tune it. where are you located? check pm's.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

I've got a brand new one as well, if you want one closer~

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

hey john check pm's

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
I've got a brand new one as well, if you want one closer~

i still can't PM so here it is.

hey i was had a question for you, you seem to be very knowledgable about blowers. now nobody said if a bad bypass valve will make the car act like this. so will it? or should i be looking at something else? when the problem first started i un-plugged the idle air regulator and that didnt affect anything, i tapped on the TPS and nothing, on the bypass valve i unplugged the vacuume line to it and nothing chenged not sure if that would tell me anything or not. im just lost with this.

thanks John for all the help with this car.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Yes, it will cause the car to run like sh!t if the valve is open (or broken, for that matter). What is happening is you are getting circulated air at idle, that is...air is coming off the discharge tube and right back into the SC intake...but with it at idle, there isn't sufficient flow to keep that air going straight into the SC...so it blows towards the MAF, causing the car to stumble, idle weird, and otherwise run like crap.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

ok thanks again, ill let you know if i need that bypass.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92coupe:
damn, 64 bucks for that little thing, but i noticed something when i was looking at purpnotch's pics. my bypass valve is hooked up oposite. now common sense says minemust be wrong, but can they run either way?

Justin

I'm not sure that this was answered, but NO they cannot be run the other way. When you say powerpipe, do you mean you have an aftermarket "powerpipe" on the car (which runs from the Air filter/MAF to the supercharger), or are we talking about the tube from the Supercharger to the throttle body (Discharge tube)? If it's the discharge tube, and you have the valve on backwards, when you let off boost pressure will keep the valve closed. This will cause the valve to pop off, like you've described.
Here's the instructions, with a nice picture on page 14: Manual
Hopefully this helps,,,,
Dennis

[ December 01, 2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: a50sn95 ]

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

quote:
Originally posted by a50sn95:
quote:
Originally posted by 92coupe:

Justin

I'm not sure that this was answered, but NO they cannot be run the other way. When you say powerpipe, do you mean you have an aftermarket "powerpipe" on the car (which runs from the Air filter/MAF to the supercharger), or are we talking about the tube from the Supercharger to the throttle body (Discharge tube)? If it's the discharge tube, and you have the valve on backwards, when you let off boost pressure will keep the valve closed. This will cause the valve to pop off, like you've described.
Here's the instructions, with a nice picture on page 14: Manual
Hopefully this helps,,,,
Dennis

hey thanks, but i saw a picture of another powerdyne setup and its setup like mine. im not sure if purplenotch's is a different bypass valve.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

mine is the stock bypass that came with the blower it runs out the outlet tube and back into the power pipe in the fender well it must work cause it runs great and has been dyno tuned. i just put it that way cause i think thats how the picture showed me to do it. [patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com