Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Wheel fitment, 05' to 99'?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Wheel fitment, 05' to 99'?
BeUnique
Member # 559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeUnique  Ford pictures for BeUnique  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know whether wheels from an 05' Mustang will swap over to the 99'-04' body style? I have no doubt the bolt pattern remains the same but wasn't quite sure about the backspacing? [patriot]
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 05 wheels will NOT fit the 99-04.. The backspacing is completely different.
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, they will bolt up, however, they will significantly reduce your front and rear track. The wheels will sit way to far inboard and look silly because the offset is completley wrong for the 94-04 Mustang [Cool]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
Yes, they will bolt up, however, they will significantly reduce your front and rear track. The wheels will sit way to far inboard and look silly because the offset is completley wrong for the 94-04 Mustang [Cool]

couldnt he just get spacers? to move the wheels out more?
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
BeUnique
Member # 559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeUnique  Ford pictures for BeUnique  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can anyone verify whether the issue is backspacing or offset? Backspacing is of course a worse issue, especially given "two-gun kid's" point that a spacer could be used if the wheel were slightly offset inside the plane of the fender flare.

Anyone know the Backspacing of a stock 99'-04' wheel? I'll measure the wheel flat on its face from the hub mounting pad up to the inboard flange of the wheel...FYI in case someone wants to check [Wink]

BeUnique
Member # 559

I hate wheels spacers by the way! [Big Grin]
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BeUnique:

Anyone know the Backspacing of a stock 99'-04' wheel?

17x8 5.72" BS

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
BeUnique
Member # 559

The 2005 GT 17x8" wheels I just measured had a 6.375" backspacing with a 45mm offset. I would bet a billet 0.655" wheel spacer would work, although I would imagine the wheel would now stick out too far past the OEM flare. Probably wouln't look that good. I still hate wheel spacers. Thanks for the help guys! [patriot]

[ November 11, 2005, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: BeUnique ]

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are looking for 05 Style Mustang Rims which will have the correct offset give us a call on Monday. We now carry a full line of Ford Racing Replica wheels designed to fit 79-2004 Mustangs.
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FWIW, the January '06 5.0 Mustang mag has an '05 GT that Vortech is using for drag testing. They put on a set of '04 Cobra wheels with slicks on the back. Looks like they fit pretty well to me. Doesn't mean you can go the other way, but....
Pics start on page 106.

WILDTHANG
¯
Member # 4441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WILDTHANG  Ford pictures for WILDTHANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 05 GT wheels sit inward 10mm(3/8") more than previous year Mustangs. They would just look a lil sucked in on your car, unless you use spacers.
Here are my aftermarket 05 GT wheels on my Cobra you can see what I mean.
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ November 15, 2005, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: WILDTHANG ]

--------------------
07 GT500
66 Drop

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com