Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ANYONE KNOW HOW TO TUB?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ANYONE KNOW HOW TO TUB?
COPFITY
¯
Member # 1845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for COPFITY  Ford pictures for COPFITY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I WANNA TUB MY 85 COUPE TO RUN FATTER SLICKS? ANYONE KNOW ANYONE?

--------------------
'92 Mustang LX Coupe
-Procharger P600
'71 Camaro Project
'97 Saturn SL1(saving the planet)

Posts: 884 | From: Pittsburg CA... No "H" cuz we don't hate! | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
start cutting.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

jayl
¯
Member # 185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayl  Ford pictures for jayl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i fit a 28x10.5 slick on my 87 GT w/ only minor rubbing...... I dont know how much motor you got in there, but thats a lot of tire ......and LX's always seem to have way more room.

--------------------
Facebook.com/TeamTemporary
8.5's TTFBitch!

1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
use a plasma cutter or a sawzall to cut the old wheel wells out. leave like a cm. or two on the edge so you have something to hooh the tubs onto.after its cut uot, weld the new ones in and make sure everything is strong and drive it. Im not sure on how to weld the tubs in but i dont think you would want to weld the whole thing, just like 1in. sections so you dont warp the metal
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have done this in the past and am thinking about doing my 91 GT but if I remember right from looking under it the springs would be the limiting factor as to how wide you could go. I think it would only get about an inch or so from doing a tub with stock location springs. Now if you went coil over shocks in back it might be worth doing a tub. But one inch is going to cost a bit of money and not get you that much results out of it.

But you asked hoe to do it. This is what I have done (64 and 67 novas) I use plasma cutters but thisa is what I did. Cut the center of the stock tub from front to back abd then figure out how much room you have between the iner tub wall and the unibody structure. This will tell you how far you can go with out major work. Let say it is 2", now you go cut the iner tub at this point and slide it in and it will rest on top of the floor over the unibody "frame". You now have a 2" gap in the center of the tub that can be filled with a 3" strip of sheet metal. You will want to weld everything up completly but not in one pass. Do several 3/4" welds jumpimg around not to over heat the metal. Once it is all welded up prime using a good product I like POR15 for non UV areas and then under cote the inside of the wheel well.
Yes their are things left out of how you would do it but this should give you a good idea for starters.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
COPFITY
¯
Member # 1845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for COPFITY  Ford pictures for COPFITY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea the stock location springs would get in the way... let's say i went with a coil over kit... would the lower control arms limit my rooms as well?

BTW... I'm going to be running a 460 big block and c6.

--------------------
'92 Mustang LX Coupe
-Procharger P600
'71 Camaro Project

Posts: 884 | From: Pittsburg CA... No "H" cuz we don't hate! | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
COPFITY
¯
Member # 1845

yea the stock location springs would get in the way... let's say i went with a coil over kit... would the lower control arms limit my rooms as well?

BTW... I'm going to be running a 460 big block and c6.

--------------------
'92 Mustang LX Coupe
-Procharger P600
'71 Camaro Project

O1sscamaroguy
¯
Member # 2775

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for O1sscamaroguy  Ford pictures for O1sscamaroguy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship] If your serious about tubbing your 5.0 I've got 63 nova fully tubbed fits 33x18.5 in the back and the rocker panels are 6 inches off the ground its slammed with a four link and coil overs. I did about 75% of the work my self. There are plenty of shops around that sell parts, kits and do labor. This is a very time intencive project and costs about 7000 - 9000 dollars [Eek!] in the end. There are a lot of things to know when doing this so dont try this in your garage with no advise [Confused] ask around get advise. heres a few shops.

*Art Morrison - back East frames kit and suspension, this is where I went good prices
*Chris Alston Chassis Works - out of SAC frames and suspension
*Fuller Fabrication - Livermore interior paneling
*Freitas Fabricatoin - San Leandro welding, cutting, frame building, roll cages -- top notch shit.

[patriot] good luck - my next project is going to be a LX notchback tubbed alky injected big block [Big Grin]

--------------------
O1 Camaro SS (pos) - 95 Bagged & Shaved Suburban - 63 Pro Street Nova - 93 S-10 Slammed, Shaved & Tangerine Candy paint -- Life is Too $hort to drive an ugly car
12.6 @ 113 w/a 1.99 60ft. 3.73, Cam, Headers, Tuning, 17x11 w/315 w/SVO #30 injectors see im DOWN Dyno'd 400hp & 400tq (it's dead)
And to think I was going to sell the SS and get an 03 Cobra - NEVER - well maybe now want to trade for a 01 SS

MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MINGRYGT  Ford pictures for MINGRYGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
COPFITY... MAN THE ONLY GUY TO CALL IS ZIMMERMAN, HE TUBS. PM ME IF YOU WANT HIS #.

--------------------
R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY 5-17-03

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I vote for fuller fabrications seent he work great quality.

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well first question is why do you want it tubbed? Is it for drag, if so than a 4link is the way to go. If it is for the street and you still want to handle corners than a 4link is the last place you want to go. How much wider are you looking for?

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com