Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 6 speed tremec swap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 6 speed tremec swap
420racerx
Member # 2838

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 420racerx  Ford pictures for 420racerx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
has anyone done this in a fox body
how was the swap is there anyfeed abck from anyone with a 6 speed all replies will be helpful

Posts: 6 | From: Palm Springs | Registered: May 2003  |  :
91GR40LX
¯
Member # 1329

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91GR40LX  Ford pictures for 91GR40LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 420racerx:
how was the swap is there anyfeed abck from anyone with a 6 speed all replies will be helpful

Not that difficult. You need a 95 Cobra crossmember and mounts(the tranny moves mount location back 3"). Shorten driveshaft. I had to loosen one long tube to clear bellhousing. There is some extending of wires. The stock speedo cable will reach, just needs to be relocated. Other than that, it's really like swapping any other tranny. You can do a search to find more info, this has been asked before.
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91GR40LX:
quote:
Originally posted by 420racerx:

Not that difficult. You need a 95 Cobra crossmember and mounts(the tranny moves mount location back 3"). Shorten driveshaft. I had to loosen one long tube to clear bellhousing. There is some extending of wires. The stock speedo cable will reach, just needs to be relocated. Other than that, it's really like swapping any other tranny. You can do a search to find more info, this has been asked before.
Depending on what your going to do with it, it's not really worth it it is very cool to have and tell people that you have a 6 speed. unless your into road racing then i could understand.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From what I have heard doesn't it just give you a second OD and not really change the gear ratio?

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That is correct. The standard T56 for Mustangs has a similar top gear ratio, with fifth gear being .82 . I belive the Viper spec has a .50 overdrive 6th.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com