Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » any problem passing smog with 4.10's? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: any problem passing smog with 4.10's?
blackmagic02GT
¯
Member # 1786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackmagic02GT  Ford pictures for blackmagic02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wondering if I will have a problem with smog on the new dyno style smog machine since I have 4.10's now. the speed won't match the rpm's they are looking for in 1st and 2nd gear now. anyone done it and can tell us your experiences? thanks Ray

--------------------
2002 GT Stone stock 14.02 @ 99mph
steeda u/d pullies, k/n filter, 4.10's 13.70 @ 102mph
in garage: steeda t/a, NX wet kit and cobra R rims

90 Stang5.0
¯
Member # 2710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 Stang5.0  Ford pictures for 90 Stang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot]

--------------------
"Keep Your Friends Close But Keep Your Enemies Closer"

blackmagic02GT
¯
Member # 1786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackmagic02GT  Ford pictures for blackmagic02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anybody smogged on the rollers with 4.10's? Ray

--------------------
2002 GT Stone stock 14.02 @ 99mph
steeda u/d pullies, k/n filter, 4.10's 13.70 @ 102mph
in garage: steeda t/a, NX wet kit and cobra R rims

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im sure its fine take your car and have them do a runing test on it see what happens.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the machine will abort the test if you can not stay in the correct gear at the correct rpm. then they will refer you to the referee good luck

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
the machine will abort the test if you can not stay in the correct gear at the correct rpm. then they will refer you to the referee good luck

OMFG!! are you serious? we are all fuckin screwed!! what a bunch of BS!

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes I am.

--------------------

RTornio
¯
Member # 2289

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RTornio  Ford pictures for RTornio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dunno if it will really matter too much.. you can keep the car in whatever gear you want, so long as the speed stays at what the machine is looking for. Good luck either way...

--------------------
Current Rides:
2014 Lexus IS250 FSport
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7 TRD 4x4
2010 Toyota Sienna Limited
1988 Ford Mustang GT 306ci

Posts: 220 | From: Fremont, Ca | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

The tas machine prompts you which gear to choose. yes the somg tech can put in say 3rd when the machine says run the test in second. With the fines that the bar is handing out i wouldnt do it.

--------------------

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So as long as the speedo reads correctly, its ok? Time for that speedo gear I guess.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

No the machine has its own speedo.

--------------------

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So then I don't understand what the problem is? Can you explain why its a problem to have a different set of gears out back then? I'm confused now.

--------------------

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to stay in the right gear at the right mph, ur rpms will be higher becuase of the steeper gears, thus increasing ur smog

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ah... I see. So with a lower gear set, it'd be easier to pass? How about if I tossed in some like 2.73s and pass with flying colors? MPS has used 2.73s for like $50.

--------------------

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for what it is worth I live in la and we already have dyno smog here and my car just passed with 373s with no problem hope this helps

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Would you mind posting up your modifications?

--------------------

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
modifications as in now or in smog trim

--------------------

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

When it hit the smog rollers it had a c/l 80mm maf 19lb injectors rebuilt 306 with 9.0-1 cobra intake hog ported gt40 irons e303 cam 1.7 rockers anderson 1 3/4 shorties (with jba carb eo tack welded on lol) bassani x pipe 70m tb 373 gears wc t5 fms aluminum driveshaft no ac or ps. smog pump and lines intact 8 degrees of timing 37psi fuel press with vaccum line off. The smog tech told me that he was suprised by how clean the car ran.

--------------------

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

I see... thanks. I'm gonna have to smog my car in a month or two and I'm worried as you can see. I've got 4.10s but this is on T5 5.0, not a modular. Even worse... My set up is all TFS, with 24#ers. I need to put the stock catted H-pipe back on for sure, but I hope the cam passes.

--------------------

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

let me know when you are going to smog your car i know a few shops up there that are performance friendly and remember you have an e cam lol ok

--------------------

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

sounds good! lol

--------------------

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

You can always use a taller tire to fool the machine. bounty hunter vert what size were the tires you had on when you tested the car. I am not saying the car wont pass a lot of things are left up to the smog tech.

--------------------

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

i had 17 in steeda pentars with 275 nitto drag radials in the rear i was gonna take it in on the welds but i thought they might get wierd smogging a car with slicks on it

--------------------

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So with this whole new law going into affect, would you recommend I still be cool, with getting long tube headers? And of course trying to find a high flow x-pipe?

OR

Can i get long tubes and off-road x-pipe and see who i can pay under the table to pass me???

[patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

I dont think you are going to have any luck passing smog with long tube headers. Instead of long tubes go with the AFM 1 3/4 shorties with a bbk or bassani x pipe and it will run close to as good as with the long tubes might be 5 hp less with the shorties but they will have less ground clearance issues.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com