Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351 install (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 351 install
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just need to know what I would need to switch from a 302 to a 351. like what parts would I be able to take off my 302 and put in 351 and what I would have to buy.

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb-archives/351_nut_bolt.html
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the 302 and 351 have many interchangeble parts. Any 302 head will fit on a 351. Intakes are different though. The 351 is wider so a wider lower intake is neaded. Cam is different to I beleive. You will also need special headers for clearence in a mustang as well as oil pan. I believe you can by a kit from FRPP or BBK for the swap. Hood clearence is another issue because the 351 is taller. I have a 21/2 cowl that clears no problem. Also the fan must be changed. I have a black magic electric fan that keeps my 351 cool. Good luck.

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks, i now know what to save up for now

--------------------
86 GT

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The cams are the same. That price list I gave you is OLD. Don't stick any 302 heads or intakes on that 351 unless you want to make 302 HP out of a 351w.
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

indymustang.stangnet.com is probably where ill get the long block from. they have a special on the 357 complete long block with all the forged goodies and other performance internal shit for around $1300 hopefully I can get the money saved up buy around spring break. they say it will produce around 425 hp thats a nice amount of horsies

--------------------
86 GT

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DAVID-

ILL KILL YOU. WHY DON'T YOU TALK TO ME ABOUT THIS SHIT BRO? I'M DOING KARLS 351 IN ABOUT TWO MONTHS. I HAVE A LIST ALREADY. FUCKING CALL ME!

JACK

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

I didn't know you were doing Karls 351. I thought roseville engine manchine ,or whatever its called, was doing it. Don't worry, nothings final. I havn't even talked to the indy mustang yet. If you get this message before noon call me. If not, all be back from school around 2pm.
Thanks,
David

--------------------
86 GT

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
David a guy is selling a supposed to be 500hp [BS flag] 351C right now for $800. Buy that shit NOW! If it's complete of course...

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
302 and 289 heads will not fit on a 351 unless you have them drilled for 1/2 head bolts.

The deck heights are different too. 8.2 Versus 9.2 and or 9.5 depending on which 351W.

Oil pans are different

Dist. different

Headers/exhaust manifolds different.

Modifications for front accessories necessary due to 1 inch taller deck height.

Other than that you are oK

Clevelands are entirely different motors.

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

I don't have the money right now. But I will in a couple of months. I want to have the motor in by spring break. When you put the roush rims on what are you going to do with the cobras?

--------------------
86 GT

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

What kind of modification will I have to do to the accessories up front?

--------------------
86 GT

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Modify the brackets to raise them up.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Thanks a lot for all of the help everyone. Holy fuck I cant wait to do this.

--------------------
86 GT

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you guys think of the 393 stroker from indymustang.stangnet.com , my blown (up) lx does need a new engine, and I want a 393 stroker, what route should I take, this seems like a best deal and most reliable. Also does anyone know anybody that builds engines. All of your help will be greatle appreciated in project reincarnation of FORDPNY.
Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

indy mustang does have good prices, but try to get Jack's(the 50ho) attention. He'll probably be the one building my 351. Ask him. If he can't do it then definatly go with indy mustang's motor. It is one of the best deals on the net.

--------------------
86 GT

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

I build motors too.

I have alot of referrences.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey David,
I'm putting drag radials on those cobra rims...Anyway The only 351 that Jack knows of is Karl's that's being built by R.E.M. I hope you don't expect him to build you one. If I were you I would baby your motor untill you save enough to purchace an assembled shortblock. Talk about easy from there, anybody can finish the job from there and if you doubt yourself than just call me. I 've already helped on a 351 install. Jack does have an accesory list but is lacking in the expierence dept. so don't suggest him to everybody. Now if your looking to build from scratch I have plenty of references and experience to get you going. Oh, are you still interested in that Pro-M meter?

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

When I said referrences I should say that I have actually installed over 20 motors most recommended from the machine shop I deal with.

I have also built over 20 small block fords and can provide 10 phone numbers and or people of referrence.

Matter of fact there are two folks on here right now that I am building motors for.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
[QB]I have also built over 20 small block fords and can provide 10 phone numbers and or people of referrence.[QB]

I am very intrested give me a call at (408)927-7189 and or my email at fordpny@hotmail.com . I have some question and maybe we can work out a deal or something.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

rebuilt 302 street engine 350 horse
stock '87-95 heads magnafluxed with new valve job
10:1 silv-o-lite .030 over hypereutectic pistons
302 block checked and bored .030
new hastings rings
stock rods - checked and conditioned
street killer wolverine 292/512 camshaft
new clevite 77 bearings (rod main and cam)
seasoned crank turned to .010 .010
new dynagear oil pump and pump drive
new dynagear double roller timingchain
standard steel rockers and pushrods.

This is an ad from Indy mustang. I would be very careful. I mean has anyone else seen 350 horsepower out of stock heads?

Dunno lot of crooks out there

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree, that place sounds shady to me. You're better off going with more proven shops like Kuntz, Keith Craft, Houston Performance, ect.
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

I agree Sawson but MAN has Keith Craft been screwing with TED and I lately.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did anyone look at the 357 racing longblock with 425 hp on indy mustang? Does that sound right or not? You guys know what sounds shady better then I do.
Erik- I am defintly going to get a finished block. I don't really want to mess with the internals too much and risk fucking the motor up. And it will take less time so I wont have to worry about forgeting any of the little internal parts. Also, with all of the questions everyone on here has answered on here I feel pretty confident on getting this to go through. But you will be the first to know if I run into any probs. And yes, I'm still interested in the mass air. I'll have the money in a week or so
Thanks
David

--------------------
86 GT

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
david-

i don't know shit about stangs...so nevermind with me helping...better ask somebody else.... [BS flag] Sorry, wish I could help.

Jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com