Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Back from the Dyno

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Back from the Dyno
greenfuelsafe
¯
Member # 756

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenfuelsafe  Ford pictures for greenfuelsafe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wasn't too pleased with the numbers, but I think I found out my problem. Turns out I have all these mods and no chip to regulate the new add ons. My fuel to air ratio was almost 20. Not even close to 13.1. The guy said that he was glad that I take it easy on my car. It is super lean and if I ran it hard, could have detonated. Lucky me!! Anyways, I am going to get a chip and hopefully my numbers will go up and my car will run a whole lot better. Anyone have a chip from Mustang Ranch? Is it worth the money?

-Mike

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
20:1 ??? You must get great fuel economy!

What MAF, injectors, fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump are you running?

Its obvious you have a "hardware" problem here, and the correct way to fix it isn't "software"(chip).

greenfuelsafe
¯
Member # 756

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenfuelsafe  Ford pictures for greenfuelsafe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 70mm Mass air, 24 lb injectors, 70 mm BBK Throttle Body, fuel pump(Don't know) I get 42 pounds of pressure constantly on my gauge. I just think that the computer is not giving it enough fuel and too much air??
greenfuelsafe
¯
Member # 756

Fuel Regulator is a Paxton. I could have 19lbs injectors. They are blue though. I have a set of 24 if that is the problem. Could need a fuel pump though? I'll go with the chip first. Stock computer running mods, they told me that isn't good. I am going to get my MAF calibrated and check codes too.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kind/brand 70mm MAF do you have? Are you sure its calibrated for 24 lbs injectors? I'm willing to bet it isn't. What error codes does the EEC give you? How much power did you make and can you post the graph?
greenfuelsafe
¯
Member # 756

I have a ford motorsport MAF. The graph was ugly. Not a bell curve. Very jagged. It looked horrible. Still made 232rwhp and 250 torque. I'll post the graph later. Don't have it on me. I'm going back in the beginning of Feb. for chip, tune, and dyno.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Just what I thought. You probably have a non 93 Cobra EEC right? The motorsport 70mm MAF is for 19 lbs injectors. The '93 cobra EEC "compensates" for this in software to drive its 24lbs injectors. Short answer:

Get a Pro-M (prefered) or C&L MAF calibrated for 24 lbs injectors and try not to wet your pants when you pick up an easy 35-40 RWHP!

When you say you get 42 lbs of pressure constantly.... you mean it doesn't drop at idle vs WOT?

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: st5150 ]

greenfuelsafe
¯
Member # 756

40/42 is idle. WOT is in the 50's. Could I keep the FM MAF. Have it fooled with the chip for 24lbs injectors and still gain 35-40 rwhp?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Yes, you *can* "trick" the EEC with a chip to run the 24 lbs injectors with a 19lbs MAF, but I wouldn't do it. Your combo is very mild, and has minimal RWHP to gain from a custom chip vs good old fuel pressure and timing tuning. The most cost effective way is to get a 24 lbs MAF, take your car and your timing to the track one day and play with the fuel pressure and timing to get the highest trap speeds. Going the $500 custom chip/dyno tune route also works.... as usual there is more than one way to skin a cat.
greenfuelsafe
¯
Member # 756

I'm confused. When you say get a new 24lb MAF. Are you saying get a C&L 76mm or Pro M 75mm and a new computer? I thought that the mass air comes calibrated for 24lbs injectors, but how can the computer recognize this? If I just by the inlet tube and a new air flow sensor, it doesn't come with a new computer calibrated for the MAF. Won't I need the chip anyway if I change? Can you straighten me out on this shit?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Here is what I would do in your shoes:

1) Buy a Pro-M Mass Air meter calibrated for 24 lbs injectors.

2) Sell your 70mm MAF

3) Take it to the track and play with timing and fuel pressure to get the maxiumim MPH.

Plan B would be:

1) Get a custom chip dyno tune from BYRON (not Terry). Tell him you have 24 lbs injectors and a FMS 70mm 19 lbs MAF.

I don't like Plan B because as a rule of thumb, you shouldn't correct hardware issues (wrong MAF) with software (custom chip) if you can help it

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GreenFuelSafe let me now when you go back to Mustang Ranch and maybe i'll go with you if you want some company.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put Pulleys on that night and there great thanks again!

--------------------
Support our troops!

greenfuelsafe
¯
Member # 756

st5150,
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will buy a new MAF from Pro-M or C&L. Then get a chip and have it dyno'd. I don't want to rig shit, when it isn't right! Should I go with the 76mm or 73mm? Any difference?

91sleeper,
I'll let you know when I go to Mustang Ranch again. I was supposed to go this weekend, but I think I will cancel. I want to buy a new MAF for 24lb injectors before I go, so it isn't a waist of money! Probably won't be for a while though. Not for a couple of months. Glad you like the pullies! Talk to you later.

-Mike

greenfuelsafe
¯
Member # 756

st5150,
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will buy a new MAF from Pro-M or C&L. Then get a chip and have it dyno'd. I don't want to rig shit, when it isn't right! Should I go with the 76mm or 73mm? Any difference?

91sleeper,
I'll let you know when I go to Mustang Ranch again. I was supposed to go this weekend, but I think I will cancel. I want to buy a new MAF for 24lb injectors before I go, so it isn't a waist of money! Probably won't be for a while though. Not for a couple of months. Glad you like the pullies! Talk to you later.

-Mike

greenfuelsafe
¯
Member # 756

st5150,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go with the new MAF way. Should I get a 76mm C&L or 73mm Pro-M? Any big difference? I don't want to rig a chip. I want to do it right!

91sleeper,
Glad you like the pullies. I'll call you next time I go to Mustang Ranch. I want to buy a new MAF before I go next time for my 24lbs injectors. It might be a couple of months. I'll talk to you later.

greenfuelsafe
¯
Member # 756

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for greenfuelsafe  Ford pictures for greenfuelsafe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WTF What's up with my triple post!! Sorry about that.
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your injectors are blue they are already 24# ones the 19#ers are yellow the thirty pounders are red and so on
Albert

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com