Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » good shops

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: good shops
Doug Smith
Member # 800

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Smith  Ford pictures for Doug Smith    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
as a new Saleen owner what shops do the members recommend for preformance work on my car wish to put headers on it soon like next week

--------------------
Doug Smith

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is MY take on it.

If I owned a fine car like a Saleen I would want things done to it the RIGHT way and the only way to do things RIGHT are to do them yourself.

NOW if you dont have alot of time and or you are nervous about doing crap yourself then maybe find one individual that has a good rep or that you know does good work and have them do the work on your car. This doesnt have to be a SHOP and at a SHOP the same person will not always be working on your car so quality will change.

Shops usually have alot of over head and quite honestly when the economy/business is good they do get a little cocky, cause they can.

One last thing is that a Saleen is a beautiful car and a nice package.....but it is still a Mustang.

You dont really need someone with tons of knowledge about Saleens, but about Mustangs....and the Saleen knowledge will come with that....

Just my take.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im sure some of the people on this board will help you out for a hell of a lot cheaper then a shop would charge. i could be wrong, but probably not

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WELCOME TO THE 5.O HO GARAGE!

WHAT CAN I HELP WITH?

$$$
Jack
$$$

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Het Doug,
Its Brian. Glad you signed up
There are guys on here that will probably help, but finding the time to do it is hard. I would reconmend the shops we talked about for the headers and bassani. There are 2 shops in santa clara. One is APEX, they charge 90/hour. The other is mustang ranch 75/hour. The headers is about a 10-12 hour day job with someone that is knowledgeable. At a shop, its around 6-8 hours. At least with a shop if something goes wrong, they will correct it. Now with somebody on the board, your on your own, no warranty.

Did you get any of the mags we talkede about?

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmmm well as far as a guarantee what exactly do they guarantee with a header and h pipe install?? Just the work?

90 bucks an hour on the average and lets say just 6 hours?

Well thats 540 bucks to install them.

I have pulled motors out re ringed and bearing them put heads/intake cam on them put them back in and made them run nice for about 400 bucks. As far as a guarantee if anything has ever gone wrong with what I did I have fixed it for free long as it was my fault

Ive never installed a set of headers on a car like yours but I bet you the labor I could do it.

Timing is hard tho like Brian says. I know Im booked for awhile.

Tell you what Ill put them in for free if you arent in a rush to get them done cause I would like to say that I have done it before.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shops have insurance
if they strip out your cobra heads, they have the capacity to replace them if necessary. nobody on the board would prolly be able to do that.

are there any dyno tuners in the sacto area?

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

He is right I dont have insurance but I doubt Im gonna strip out your cobra heads.

I dont think you have cobra heads anyway.

It was just a friendly offer.

Maybe Im in the wrong business?

Maybe I should open a shop get insurance and start charging 90bucks an hour

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dan i think u should own a shop...I can be ur manager shit im already the manager of sawsons new guitar career

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

I just see alot of money wasted and alot of people with their hands out.

Ask around Im always VERY fair to people.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com