Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Here's a How-to on LT headers

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Here's a How-to on LT headers
Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt208  Ford pictures for Bullitt208    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here a how-to on installing Long Tube headers on a 2001 4.6GT.
www.fnsweet.com/garage/lt_install/index.shtml

Tell me what you guys think.

Anyone who has done it, do you have any tips onthings I might have overlooked?

Eric

Posts: 297 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Right on ERIC. Those directions look right on. How many hours total for the install. Did you really feel a difference?

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt208  Ford pictures for Bullitt208    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brian,

Thanks for the compliment. Kevin(roush2k) did a great job of formatting everything. (He is awesome with photoshop and web hosting tools.)

The install took a solid day. I would say about 9 hours. If id did it again I could easily cut the time to 6 hours. (I was taking my time and writing a lot of stuff down as I went.
)
As far as feeling a difference it's hard to say. I hadn't driven the car for a week so I couldn't do a really good back to back comparison. I will get it dynoed to see what kind of gains I got. I have the stock Bullittt cat-back and it sounds pretty mean under full throttle. I can only imagine what it would sound like with magnaflows or something a little more agressive!

Eric

[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: Bullitt208 ]

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dude, that is an awesome how-to. Thanks!
I really want to come by and hear it in person. Too bad I leave on Sunday for Chico

[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: 2000BlackGT ]

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Chuck,

Did you listen to the mpeg at the bottom of the page? You can get a pretty good idea of what it sounds like. (Ignore Kevin saying go... go, we were at his place and I was afraid I was going to piss of his neighbors so I was taking it pretty easy)
When I get back from my business trip next week Kevin and I are going to make a sound clip of me doing a full throttle drive-by. (This is when it sounds the best.)
I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to let you hear it in person. I just got the O2 harness extension late yesterday.

Eric

[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: Bullitt208 ]

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Eric,

The car sounds bad ass. I'll drive down Thursday and we can swap cars again. That will be a good indication of what the difference is.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much were the long tubes and h pipe?? Great page that should help me a lot if I go ahead with that

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Mark,

If I'm home on Thursady it's a go! Pray for good weather. I'm in Columbus, Ohio as I write this, but I'm scheduled to fly back Wednesday eve.

Stoked,

Did you ever get you exhaust leak fixed?

I've had the SES light come on once. It turned out to be a "delayed O2 sensor reading" I'll have to see how often this crops up and decide if I need to get a chip burned.

BlownMystic,

LT's were $500+tax and shipping
Catted H-pipe was $300+tax and shipping

Figure about $1000 bucks by the time you by O2 harness extenders and other odds and ends.

Eric

Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Stoked,

The fitment of your LT's sound like a nightmare. On my car everything lined up perfectly. I reused most of the stock studs and only had to use a bolt in one location. I went to kragen adn found a bolt the same threadcount and size as the ones supplied by BBK, but it was longer by 5mm. This allowed me to put a lock washer on it so I don't have to worry about it baacking out.

I thought the code was wierd also. I ahd Bill at Apex pull it and I thought for sure it was going to be a rear O2 sensor warning. I figured even though I'm running the cats they don't clean as much as the stock ones. Once Bill told me what the code was It mnade sense. The O2's are alot farther down the line than they used to be. I'ts possible that the computer has gotten more picky with the later models as they are always trying to tighten the emmisions on these things.

Eric

Evil Mach1
¯
Member # 26

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Evil Mach1  Ford pictures for Evil Mach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go install article! I'm ordering my long tubes this spring once I get my tax refund. Definitely will be using this article, now I just need a garage

--------------------
2003 Mach 1
Black, 5-speed, silver stripes
*GONE*

USAF bound!!!
EAD: 1 Dec 04

Posts: 845 | From: Elk Grove, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
black_demon
¯
Member # 196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for black_demon  Ford pictures for black_demon    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what are you goin to do come smog time?
Posts: 112 | From: san francisco - cali | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

I don't have to worry about smogging my car for three years. I'll figure out what I'm going to do at that time.

Stoked,

I really need to get an mpeg of the car while it is accelerating. The sound is awesome. I hope to be able to do it this weekend if the weather permits.

Eric

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com