Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » new comp. chip for saleen

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: new comp. chip for saleen
2001s281
¯
Member # 653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2001s281  Ford pictures for 2001s281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
talked to the guys @ mustang ranch and they recommended to get a brand new computer put into my saleen. they said the power flash kit sucks, and it would cost a grand to do all of this. any suggestions?
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have not heard of this. Try posting on www.saleen.com. Dennis G knows a lot about your car. He has the same car as you do. Byron can not reprogram your computer that is in your car?

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
DennisG
¯
Member # 163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DennisG  Ford pictures for DennisG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Byron tuned my car about a year ago. He was only able to tune it to around 5000 rpm, because it gets super lean after that. My main problem wasn't the Saleen powerflash, but the addition of the smaller pulley.

As explained by John from Saleen, decreasing the pulley size flows too much air for the Mass Air Flow Sensor to compensate. The MAFS calculates how much air is about to enter the engine and tells the computer how much fuel to add. Well, like most things it has a limit as to how much fuel it can add at one time. The smaller pulley increases the air flow too much for the stock MAFS to handle. To make matters worse (for me) I had the blower S-port done which makes the blower flow even MORE air , I've seen 13psi. I would talk to John from Saleen before you spend 1k on a new computer. Or, maybe do a search on the Saleen board.
By his post the other day, it almost sounds like Saleen will have a new reflash for a 90mm MAFS and 42lb injectors soon, but don't quote me on that one.

--------------------
Chrysler 2006 300C 6.1 SRT8
Stock with 1400 miles -13.2 @ 108.5

Posts: 387 | From: Manteca, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
2001s281
¯
Member # 653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2001s281  Ford pictures for 2001s281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DennisG:
Byron tuned my car about a year ago. He was only able to tune it to around 5000 rpm, because it gets super lean after that. My main problem wasn't the Saleen powerflash, but the addition of the smaller pulley.

As explained by John from Saleen, decreasing the pulley size flows too much air for the Mass Air Flow Sensor to compensate. The MAFS calculates how much air is about to enter the engine and tells the computer how much fuel to add. Well, like most things it has a limit as to how much fuel it can add at one time. The smaller pulley increases the air flow too much for the stock MAFS to handle. To make matters worse (for me) I had the blower S-port done which makes the blower flow even MORE air , I've seen 13psi. I would talk to John from Saleen before you spend 1k on a new computer. Or, maybe do a search on the Saleen board.
By his post the other day, it almost sounds like Saleen will have a new reflash for a 90mm MAFS and 42lb injectors soon, but don't quote me on that one.

hey Dennis, i did see that post it was what they did to the S281E they added a 90 mm maf and a high flow fuel pump. do you think i should wait for Saleen to release those mods, or should i go out and buy the parts? the guys at speed merchant told me that it was not the fuel or the air but the computer. so i do not know what to do. the mustang ranch guys are telling me that the engine detonates after 5k rpms. HELP!!

DennisG
¯
Member # 163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DennisG  Ford pictures for DennisG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off, be wary of those who claim to know what your problem is with your Saleen. The Saleen powerflash/roots blower setup is quite different than the Vortech/custom tune setup. I spent almost all of last year trying to figure out this very problem, emailing a bunch of people.

Even with Byron, he narrowed it down to the MAFS or fuel pump, or both, but he wasn't sure without running autotap to confirm.(which I never did).
I'm not sure what the speed merchant guys told you, but that doesn't sound right to me.
John has posted quite a few times, saying the exact same thing I said in the above post. He works for Saleen, therefore I tend to believe him first..

If your engine is detonating, I would lay off the wide open throttles until you get it tuned right. If you ever hear the "rocks in a can" let off the gas, or your engine may let go.

Supposedly, they will be releasing a 290lph turbine pump, 42lb injectors, 90mm mafs around Feburary time.. I would wait a little while longer to see if this package wll actually be available.

--------------------
Chrysler 2006 300C 6.1 SRT8
Stock with 1400 miles -13.2 @ 108.5

Posts: 387 | From: Manteca, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2001s281-
I would not listen to speed merchant. There good for hot rods and classics. I don't think they anything about the saleen blowers. I would listen to John from saleen and byron.
Exactly what Dennis said, lay off the full throttle. Leave it under 5,000 until you figure out what you need to do. Motors are quite expensive, ask my best friend wikd281

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Motors are not that expensive, I'm going the cheapo depot route> ask others on the board
LOL

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

2001s281
¯
Member # 653

thanks guys i will wait untill saleen releases the maf and fuel pump. see you in feb.
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:
Motors are not that expensive, I'm going the cheapo depot route> ask others on the board
LOL

so when do you think you will have your car runing again

when do you guys planing on goin to the track again

I should have my car dyno tuned by apex on feb 5 and have some control arms and subs installed that day also

hoping with desent weather to run some 11's this time

I bought me some BF drag's they good but I now not as good as the ET streets but for now they have to do

WIKED281 how much did u get your oil pan from
I would like to get one for my gt
thanks

Hey wikd

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: 99gt-UJSTLST ]

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
UJSTLST> whats up bud? E-mail me at Haroldseven@attbi.com
I dont really like to talk prices online.
Thanks.
Later.

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:
UJSTLST> whats up bud? E-mail me at Haroldseven@attbi.com
I dont really like to talk prices online.
Thanks.
Later.

check your email

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com