Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » SUSPENSION WHAT U THINK

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SUSPENSION WHAT U THINK
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I ahve about 1000 bucks to spend on my suspension
here is what iam goin with

South Side upper and lower control arms
lakewoods 30/70 for the front
MM cast and camber plats and there sub frame connectors
and torq box reenforce kit
Iam also goin to relocate the battery to the back and buy a dual oil filter kit
I was thinking about a oil cooler kit but have not made up my mind if its worth the money to buy one

what do you guys think
is there a brand you guys think maybe works better then what i have picked

Thanks

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you going to run slicks?

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea
thats why iam re enforcing the torq boxes

but mostly ill be runing drags but would like to run et streets or slicks at the track

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have heard a lot of good things about the MM adjustable lower control arms, not sure about the uppers though.

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much does an oil cooler cost? we put one on my buddies last car was really easy.. Im sure they are a great benifit to the Blower not letting it get so hot

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
Originally posted by RiddlerGT:
how much does an oil cooler cost? we put one on my buddies last car was really easy.. Im sure they are a great benifit to the Blower not letting it get so hot

well ive seen it for like 150 for the kit my problem would be were to place it at since i have a air to air intercooler in the front of my raidiator\
but iam sure ill would think of some thinking

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds good. Ever thought about a Canton oil pan?

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you going to be running slicks? (or at least ET streets?) If not, I wouldn't recomend South Sides on a daily driver. If you are going to be running slicks... then save your control arm and drag shocks for money for new axels&carrier if and when your stock stuff breaks.

Battery in the trunk and welding up the seams on your tourqe boxes are great ideas.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I currently run southside lowers. While they are great for the strip I do not recommend them for a daily driver. The snapping, popping, creaking/etc. and harsh ride get OLD. In fact, I'll be taking mine out this year. Probably for HPM mega-bite jr's, or MM lowers. haven't decided. Definitely something with polyurethane.
yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go Hotchkis when u buy c/c plates. They're more solid and definitely look better under the hood .

If you're gonna be in the city one day drop me an e-mail and we'll hook-up and I'll show u what I mean .

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
Roush2960
¯
Member # 672

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush2960  Ford pictures for Roush2960    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RiddlerGT:

Do you have one on your lighting? this is a good idea for chargers. but where to mount on stangs is an issue.

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: Roush2960 ]

CornerCarver
¯
Member # 72

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornerCarver  Ford pictures for CornerCarver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yesIdid:
Go Hotchkis when u buy c/c plates. They're more solid and definitely look better under the hood .

Really...?! Explain how the Hotchkis C/C plates with Poly bushings are more solid than the MM plates that have spherical bearings. You would tend to think that the poly bushings would deflect under severe side loading of the strut and change the geometry of the suspension. The spherical bearing, on the other hand, will not give and suspension geometry will remain constant.

As far as the hardware itself, both are made from thick plates and are similar, except that the MM plates require you to drill an extra mounting hole in the strut tower for a fourth mounting bolt.

-joe

--------------------
'01 GT
'95 GT - RIP
Cobra R's, 275/40/17 RE730's, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, MM C/C Plates, MM LCA's, SVO HD Uppers, Griggs subframe connectors, Prothane polyurethane - everywhere, aluminum offset rack bushings, 3.55's, FMS aluminum driveshaft, Pro 5.0 shifter, ASP pulleys, K&N (of course), Bassani Cat X-Pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back, Cervini's Stalker front bumper and Cobra R hood, clear corners
www.crewchaos.com/people/loader/joe_home/mustang

Posts: 54 | From: Woodside, Ca | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ:
Sounds good. Ever thought about a Canton oil pan?

I did not now they made one for the 4.6l

do you now the part number I would be willing to buy one an put it on
do you also now about how much it cosr
thanks

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
I currently run southside lowers. While they are great for the strip I do not recommend them for a daily driver. The snapping, popping, creaking/etc. and harsh ride get OLD. In fact, I'll be taking mine out this year. Probably for HPM mega-bite jr's, or MM lowers. haven't decided. Definitely something with polyurethane.

hmmm well that sounds cool my stang is not my daily driver
So you do recomend the SMM lower control arms for the track and street racing
did you notice a drop on you ET tims with them

thanks

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WOLFE

Ive never been happier with the WOLFE pieces I bought. Excellent craftsmanship and well we all know what Guthridge and Spetter are doing on them..

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
99gt-UJSTLST- Here is the best bang for the buck suspension setup for you....

weld up the control arm mounts

get some ET streets or ET drags

remove the front sway bar

Run this combo and use the money you would have spent on control arms or drag shocks to replace your axels and carrier with a 31 spline unit when they break.

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 99gt-UJSTLST:

I did not now they made one for the 4.6l

do you now the part number I would be willing to buy one an put it on
do you also now about how much it cosr
thanks

Email wikd281 for the price and parts. He just put one on his car.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

Run this combo and use the money you would have spent on control arms or drag shocks to replace your axels and carrier with a 31 spline unit when they break.

about how much will that cost for the axl and spline unit

iam getting the boxes welded on already
iam planning on rung drag radials for now but will go with slicks once i run 11's on drags

thanks for the advice

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

about how much will that cost for the axl and spline unit

http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?incatuid=115&fcmd=cat

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

hmmm well that sounds cool my stang is not my daily driver
So you do recomend the SMM lower control arms for the track and street racing
did you notice a drop on you ET tims with them

thanks

nah, based on my experience with how the SSM lower control arms beats the hell out of your torque boxes, I'd avoid them myself.

I believe they are worth a solid tenth in the 60' over stock LCA's, and they stabalize the launch with less of a tendency to 'lift' the front end of the car. (I know, you might prefer the wheelie).

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey the best suspension to go with is griggs well wirth it they make the best parts they make a full kit called the gr40

WWW.GRIGGSRACING.COM

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by gr40coupe:
Hey the best suspension to go with is griggs well wirth it they make the best parts they make a full kit called the gr40

WWW.GRIGGSRACING.COM

I think he is looking for more of a drag racing setup purely based on what his initial plans are and what all other posts have discussed. With that said, comments by them like this:
http://www.griggsracing.com/gr40rear.html

"Our urethane lower control arm bushings help insure the elimination of wheel hop when the quad-shocks and upper control arms are removed. Typical 60 ft. time reduction on radials is .3 to .6 seconds."

Make me question if they've ever been down the drag strip.

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

hey whats involved in welding the torq boxes
do i have to remove the back seat and put a plate also or will just welding up the torq boxes to the body frame be enough

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

The proper way to do the torque boxes involves pulling the rear seats/carpet/pad out. Some of us are fortunate enough to always have their car like that, lol.

Anyways, a cheap solution is to just do the 'lower' frame mount to the LCA. Have a competent welder 'seal' the torque box shut along the side. The other attachment point is best reached through the back seat and involves some sheetmetal cutting.

I'd do the lower attachment point first. How strongly will you be hitting the tires? 1.8x? 1.6x? 1.5x? You may just want to bite the bullit and have someone install the Wyld Ride Battle Boxes, or equivalents. Figure $200 for the sheetmetal (lol!) and $200+ for the install. This is the LCA's only. The upper arm isn't necessary on a drag racer. But if you're into da TwisTEEZ do the uppers at the same time.

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
The proper way to do the torque boxes involves pulling the rear seats/carpet/pad out. Some of us are fortunate enough to always have their car like that, lol.

Anyways, a cheap solution is to just do the 'lower' frame mount to the LCA. Have a competent welder 'seal' the torque box shut along the side. The other attachment point is best reached through the back seat and involves some sheetmetal cutting.

I'd do the lower attachment point first. How strongly will you be hitting the tires? 1.8x? 1.6x? 1.5x? You may just want to bite the bullit and have someone install the Wyld Ride Battle Boxes, or equivalents. Figure $200 for the sheetmetal (lol!) and $200+ for the install. This is the LCA's only. The upper arm isn't necessary on a drag racer. But if you're into da TwisTEEZ do the uppers at the same time.

thanks
iam goin to buy the lower control arm KIT and have it welded on

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com