Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » recommend a new engine for me...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: recommend a new engine for me...
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my bro just bought a 89 LX 5.0 with 145k on it for a project car. we think the engine has a blown head gasket. the oil looks like its mixed with coolant, milky in color like chocolate.

he's just gonna drive it until it dies out our budget is about $2500. its going to be a daily driver. we just want something that can run consistent low to mid 13s with a average driver.

can anyone one that has put together an engine before recommend a good long block? where to get it from? any other useful info would be great, thanks.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
302 GT 40P
HI-COMPRESSION LONGBLOCKS
ESSB-HC302LB40P

NEW 302 H.O. STANDARD BORE BLOCK
FEDERAL MOGUL HYPEREUTECTIC PISTONS
PREMIUM CLEVITE PISTON RINGS
ALL CLEVITE BEARINGS
POLISHED & CHAMFERED STEEL 302 FORD CRANK
GENUINE FORD 302 RODS
MOTORSPORT CAM (X-303)
MOTORSPORT ROLLER LIFTERS
DOUBLE ROLLER TIMING CHAIN
GT4OP IRON HEADS (MILLED .030)
OMEGA 1.6 ADJUSTABLE ROLLER ROCKERS
HI-VOLUME OIL PUMP
HARDENED PUSHRODS
FORD GRAPHITE FELPRO HEAD GASKETS
ENGINE BALANCED TO FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS
$2199.00

Hard to beat central coast.

Put a nice intake and some headers on it and you have a 12 second car.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will this be smog legal? approx. hp output?
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

also for $2199, it comes with everything listed there correct? do you know anyone using this particular combo? thanks.
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont see how the x cam would be smog legal.

You can order it with the E cam and retain emissions.

The price is with everything listed.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
302 GT 40P
HI-COMPRESSION LONGBLOCKS
ESSB-HC302LB40P

NEW 302 H.O. STANDARD BORE BLOCK
FEDERAL MOGUL HYPEREUTECTIC PISTONS
PREMIUM CLEVITE PISTON RINGS
ALL CLEVITE BEARINGS
POLISHED & CHAMFERED STEEL 302 FORD CRANK
GENUINE FORD 302 RODS
MOTORSPORT CAM (X-303)
MOTORSPORT ROLLER LIFTERS
DOUBLE ROLLER TIMING CHAIN
GT4OP IRON HEADS (MILLED .030)
OMEGA 1.6 ADJUSTABLE ROLLER ROCKERS
HI-VOLUME OIL PUMP
HARDENED PUSHRODS
FORD GRAPHITE FELPRO HEAD GASKETS
ENGINE BALANCED TO FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS
$2199.00

Hard to beat central coast.

Put a nice intake and some headers on it and you have a 12 second car.

say with the stock intake and exhaust, how much hp do you think it will produce at the crank or rwhp?

Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how about an ls1

--------------------
Wheels on the Vette go round and round.

Posts: 1700 | From: Over There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GT-40P longblocks are ~ $1400 from Ford. You can adapt basically everything from your 5.0 (front cover, etc. all).

Add an intake (or reuse your stocker) and expect about 250 HP with the HO cam instead of the explorer, and the HO EEC-IV instead of the explorer POS.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

This shortblock is balanced and for 250 they will put forged pistons in it.

With the right intake and exhaust and a 150 shot this motor will go 11s once you learn how to 60 foot it.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
This shortblock is balanced and for 250 they will put forged pistons in it.

With the right intake and exhaust and a 150 shot this motor will go 11s once you learn how to 60 foot it.

have you or do you know anyone who has used this particular long block before from central coast? i want soemthing that will last 100k plus. i want it to be as reliable as a stock 5.0 from ford.

JUSTIN
¯
Member # 586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUSTIN  Ford pictures for JUSTIN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a 351's a bolt in if your changing engines anyway.....no substitute for cubes

--------------------
JUSTIN selling everything and buying a viper!

Posts: 310 | From: UNION CITY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com