Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cleaning the 10pin connectors

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cleaning the 10pin connectors
Blownhatch
¯
Member # 167

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blownhatch  Ford pictures for Blownhatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
88 GT- My idle sticks at 1500 then slowly comes down to 900rpms. I never cleaned the two cannister looking things "10 pin connectors" What-ever their called.

I know i need some kind of grease?? help

Posts: 427 | From: Protected Witness | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car still had plenty of dialectric grease on the conectors when I took it apart, so I didn't add any. An autoparts store or even Radio Shack should carry the stuff if you need it. You only need a tiny amount of it.

to clean the connectors, use a flat head screwdriver to pry them off. Chances are you'll brake some of the old plastic tabs doing this.

Once that is done, get a very small flathead screwdriver. Stick it in the female part of the connector and scrap its walls. Scrape clean the male end as well. Now lightly wedge the small flathead screwdriver between the plastic part of the connector and the ouside of the metal cylnder of the female part of the connector. This will slightly make the diameter of the cylinder smaller so it connects better/firmer.

With that said, there is a chance this isn't your problem. Have you checked your computer for codes? I had a bad TPS that would cause a similar problem once.

Blownhatch
¯
Member # 167

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blownhatch  Ford pictures for Blownhatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive never checked codes but im gonna try this first, see what happens
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blownhatch:
Ive never checked codes but im gonna try this first, see what happens

Making sure you have no codes is always good. Clearing the codes can only lead to better drivability, fuel economy and power!
www.corral.net has a nice write up in their tech section on how to scan for codes.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
idle sticking?

clean the IAB and check your EGR valve

Blownhatch
¯
Member # 167

I took off my EGR. Hers the Question? What causes the idle to stick from 10 pin connectors being?dirty,no grease?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com