Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » best clutch

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: best clutch
RonB
Member # 720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RonB  Ford pictures for RonB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know the best clutch is probably the Centerforce II, but it's a little pricey and I probably don't need it. I have a 90 LX with most of the bolt on stuff--KnN, flows, headers, fan, pullies, Jacobs ignition--and thinking of upgrading throttle body and injectors.

Any suggestions on clutches $250 and under--Hays, Ford Motor sport, etc.?

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For a stock motor and radial tires, the King Cobra clutch for $200 is hard to beat from Summit. Throttle body and injectors won't help on the stock motor. I don't see gears in your mod list, if you don't have them, get them. You'll notice *much* bigger gains with 3.73's compared to TB and injectors.
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree w/ st5150 as long as you don't use power adders, and or slicks

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
RonB
Member # 720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RonB  Ford pictures for RonB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I forgot--I do have 373 gears and the new Superchip, which did make a difference.

But I am interested in your thoughts on throttle bodies and injectors. Do you think overkill without a cam change, etc.?

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RonB:
I forgot--I do have 373 gears and the new Superchip, which did make a difference.

But I am interested in your thoughts on throttle bodies and injectors. Do you think overkill without a cam change, etc.?

If anything the 3.73's help clutch life since you don't need to slip the clutch as much when taking off from a stop.

The throttle body is not the restriction on your car right now. You have nothing to gain by doing it.

Injectors would be completely useless. You're not making the power where you would benifit from larger injectors.

Probaby the biggest bang for the buck right now is taking it to the track and tuning the car and your driving skills. It seems like you have all the basic bolt ons that I have for a stock motor. Solid 13's with some sticky tires should be no problem.

RonB
Member # 720

Yea, I do have the BF Goodrich radials drag tires too, Hurst short through. How about polishing the ports--worth the effort? What would a better maniford do--Cobra, Trick Flow, Etc.?

Thanks for the tips.

POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
King Cobra Ron....#1 imo...for the money that is.

--------------------
98 Chrome Yellow Cobra === Sold
2004 Silver WRX Wagon ==== Modded
1967 Black/Green Mustang Coupe
*being resto-modded as we speak*

Posts: 933 | From: Lawrenceville, Ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id have to go with the king cobra! Good clutch for the price. Ive got a Dual friction Centerforce in my cougar, and it works pretty good too, so far. As for mods, TB and inj would be worthless. Spend the $$$ on a decent intake, then maybe a head swap.

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
STOKED - LOL, I have my new Ram 900 and flywhee sitting on the bench in my garage. Can't wait. I can't wait. The last thing I'm waiting on is the new driveshaft.

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com