Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Superchargers (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Superchargers
1_Sick_Cobra
¯
Member # 718

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 1_Sick_Cobra  Ford pictures for 1_Sick_Cobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am interested in putting a Kenne Bell supercharger on my car and was wondering if it is good; or what is good and the prices?

--------------------
WELL...ITS A COBRA...AND ITS FAST ;)

youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what year car do you have ? is it a street car or will it spend time at the track ? im going to move this one over to our new tech forum so more people will reply..
Posts: 1663 | From: bay area/SAC cali. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
Solid Snake
¯
Member # 719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Solid Snake  Ford pictures for Solid Snake  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a '98 Cobra and it will be his daily driver.

--------------------
2003 Cobra, Dark Shadow Grey
BMW Tech and MINI tech Master Tech

Posts: 153 | From: Livenomore, CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1_Sick_Cobra:
I am interested in putting a Kenne Bell supercharger on my car and was wondering if it is good; or what is good and the prices?

Stay away from Kenne Bell! I've seen them on the dyno on DOHC cobra's. They all pinged like crazy and only made 350ish RWHP. Stick with more proven blowers like the Vortech S trim. If you want the throttle response the Kenne Bell gives, just gear your Cobra steeper.

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with a vortech. Hey gabe where do you have your oil return line located, on the front or back of the pan? someone was telling me that when I relocate it that I should think about moving it to the back cuz it would keep the oil cooler and you dont louse power...

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

1_Sick_Cobra
¯
Member # 718

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1_Sick_Cobra  Ford pictures for 1_Sick_Cobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know the price range our the best place to get vortech supercharger... or just go through vortech?

--------------------
WELL...ITS A COBRA...AND ITS FAST ;)

1SicStanG716
the sic crew
Member # 716

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SicStanG716  Ford pictures for 1SicStanG716  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what up d? diablo in town is a vortech dealer

--------------------
2001 sivler metallic v6 stang
The Sic Crew's Chic Magnet
Ford Service Tech/Sequioa Student
click this link http://www.pylon1.com/cobra/1sicstang_new02.jpg

R.I.P Miles "ull be in my prayers and thoughts" 12/13/79-12/08/02

Posts: 1729 | From: livermore,ca | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1_Sick_Cobra:
Does anyone know the price range our the best place to get vortech supercharger... or just go through vortech?

Ron @ Force Fed Performane in Yuba City has always been willing to give us good prices on Vortech stuff..give him a try.

Posts: 837 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
1SicStanG716
the sic crew
Member # 716

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SicStanG716  Ford pictures for 1SicStanG716  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what does a vortech for the v6 run? vortech and a after cooler maybe. whos better ati or vortech?

--------------------
2001 sivler metallic v6 stang
The Sic Crew's Chic Magnet
Ford Service Tech/Sequioa Student
click this link http://www.pylon1.com/cobra/1sicstang_new02.jpg

R.I.P Miles "ull be in my prayers and thoughts" 12/13/79-12/08/02

Posts: 1729 | From: livermore,ca | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Roush2960
¯
Member # 672

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush2960  Ford pictures for Roush2960    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What would be a good supercharger for a daily driven 2000 Mustang?? have been looking around. ATI and Vortech look good but which is better. any comments
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 01sicstang:
what does a vortech for the v6 run? vortech and a after cooler maybe. whos better ati or vortech?

I would not waist your $. Save up and buy a V-8

Roush2960- I had a vortech on my 99GT. It worked great. As long as you keep the stock system you should have no problems. Once you start modding, things go wrong. I ran 11's w/ justa vortech and some tunning. Plan on spending 5,000, at least. Then get anothe $5,000 for a built motor.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ihatethesesns:
I would go with a vortech. Hey gabe where do you have your oil return line located, on the front or back of the pan? someone was telling me that when I relocate it that I should think about moving it to the back cuz it would keep the oil cooler and you dont louse power...

sorry about the late reply..i have my oil returen in the front of the motor.. i really have no idea on what your buddy was talking about... all the oil dumps into the oil pan anyways so the heat is the same no matter if the return is in the front or back ..

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Gabe, what brand of I/C are you running?

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
Hey Gabe, what brand of I/C are you running?

SPEARCO, works great. at full boost(12#s)on a 70 degree nite max discharge temp was 105-110.gets colder the faster you go .. HEHEHE freewasy runs anyone???

Roush2960
¯
Member # 672

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush2960  Ford pictures for Roush2960    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey try2paz - was that with an "aftercooler" or straight from charger. where is a good place to get install in south bay(San Jo)area. I have had a friend tell me about APEX.
VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Roush2960:
Hey try2paz - was that with an "aftercooler" or straight from charger. where is a good place to get install in south bay(San Jo)area. I have had a friend tell me about APEX.

Brian didn't have a aftercooler...just the SC. If you don't mind the $$..Apex does good work and has installed countless Vortech's on late model stangs.

*SlipNslide281*
¯
Member # 622

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *SlipNslide281*  Ford pictures for *SlipNslide281*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Gabe or Dean, I read up on Procharger vs Vortech and Procharger claims that there supercharger with air to air aftercooler is better than the Vortech water after cooler, and the price for the procharger with the after cooler is about the same price as the Vortech with out the after cooler. Is the Porcharger a better supercharger?

Adam

Posts: 1817 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

quote:
Originally posted by SlipNslide281:
Hey Gabe or Dean, I read up on Procharger vs Vortech and Procharger claims that there supercharger with air to air aftercooler is better than the Vortech water after cooler, and the price for the procharger with the after cooler is about the same price as the Vortech with out the after cooler. Is the Porcharger a better supercharger?

Adam

If Pro-Charger works out all the kinks w/ their 99+ applications, ya. But remember, their comparing it to a Vortech w/ Vortech's aftercooler. You get yourself a Vortech and throw on an aftermarket cooler, I'd take that any day over a pro-charger.

*SlipNslide281*
¯
Member # 622

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *SlipNslide281*  Ford pictures for *SlipNslide281*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I guess when you read about procharger at a procharger site there always going to pump them selves up. I guess the Consumers make the best recomendations. Thanks Dean.
Posts: 1817 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey if u look at all the fastest drag cars they all run procharger..Got get Muscle mustang and fast ford mag and look at a competition race and they are all set up with prochargers...procharger has a big recal because there blowers kept blowing seals and dumping oil in the motor the claim its fixed now..i woudnt reccomend buying a used procharger

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SlipNslide281:

Adam

Adam,
The vortech is by far the best s/c out there. I never had any problems with it. I know 10 cars running vortechs, and they all have had no major problems. Now, for the procharger, sure, they might make more power, but how much can your stock motor hold? The PC guys concentrate on the BIG DOGS, Pro-5.0, outlaw, renegade etc...
Vortech is the more daily driver street/strip blower. A lot of PC are blowing seals and sucking oil in the engine. If I where to do it again, 100% for Vortech
Just my .02 cents

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We've installed almost every brand of supercharger available, and Vortech is the king! It's the best all-around package in terms of quality, reliability, and power production, and Vortech really stands behind their product.
I don't recommend Kenne Bell for the reasons already said, and after installing a Procharger on a '96 Cobra, we'll never do it again. _Very_ difficult installation because nothing fit right. We had to fabricate a bunch of things to get it to fit, and it never did run right.
Regarding intercooler vs. Aftercooler, water has better heat transfer properties than air, so Vortech went that route. Comparing Vortech to ProCharger is like apples-to-oranges, as the Vortech supercharger is lightyears ahead of ATI in impeller design. The ATI basically _needs_ an intercooler because of the incredible heat it generates because of its inefficiency.
As for all the top drag racers using ATI, that may be true, but those cars don't use street blowers; they use ATI's full-race blower which doesn't have the antiquated impeller design of their street blowers.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the knowledge on the charger systems.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
youl luz
¯
Member # 53

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/APEX Motorsports:

The ATI basically _needs_ an intercooler because of the incredible heat it generates because of its inefficiency.

I've been sayng this for years... I think the BEST combo would be a vortech head unit w/ a air to air intercooler..this rules on the street..IM sure ATI's are getting better but I've just see nothing but garbage come from that company..I would not take one if you gave it to me .. Vortech user 5+ years

ray95
¯
Member # 752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray95  Ford pictures for ray95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know if you guys have heard about http://www.fasttrackperf.com (probably have) but they make an intercooler kit for a vorteched 99+ stang. When I called them, they said they would be able to fabricate one for my 95gt.

Ray

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: ray95 ]

Posts: 895 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com