Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Events/Shows/Cruises   » Mustang Week

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Mustang Week
06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Ford pictures for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So a handful of us here in Cali are flirting with the idea of making the trek across the country next year. This is kind of a feeler thread to gauge interest, haven't worked out the logistics yet. All I know is it's in July and its 2850 miles from Sacramento to Myrtle Beach South Carolina. Was thinking of driving 20 hours, pulling into a hotel and sleeping 8ish and doing the second 20 hours there. Was also looking into renting a house for the week there, I've found houses that sleep 10 for like $2k for the week on vrbo.com

--------------------
Lame ass 2006 3V GT. Low and slow, all bark, no bite.

93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Excellent. I am game.
Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
20 hrs In one stretch ? That's pushing your self to the danger zone don't you think maybe half that or -15 hrs shifts

[ 2015-07-13, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: 50Reasons ]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
20 hrs In one stretch ? That's pushing your self to the danger zone don't you think maybe half that or -15 hrs shifts

what if we split driving duties with our passenger(s)?
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93ReefBlue5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:

what if we split driving duties with our passenger(s)?
That would work perfectly just make sure the passenger goes to sleep and stays a sleep then 10 shifts would wrk perfect

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Ford pictures for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It looks like the official events run Tuesday through Saturday, so we could head out there Saturday and split the drive into 3 days, and head home Sunday with an ETA of early Tuesday evening. So anyone interested in going would need to take a week plus 2 days off of work.

--------------------

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was just talking to a friend about this. If I get my car done by the end of the year I'm down to go. Cross country with completely solid drag suspension sounds like a good time.

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did this go down?
06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
Did this go down?

This is a feeler post, trying to see how many poeple would be interested to go next year. None of us made the journey this year.

--------------------

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you bring a 2nd driver and take maybe 2 or 3 days that would be good. How long does it normally take someone to drive coast to coast?

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

BLK66FB
¯
Member # 8282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK66FB  Ford pictures for BLK66FB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could do a CA Fords Gumball Rallly

--------------------
----------------------

1966 Mustang Fastback
2016 Mustang GT

H8RPWRD
¯
Member # 12588

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for H8RPWRD  Ford pictures for H8RPWRD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds interesting

--------------------
89 Lx Vert
93 LX Notch- sold
01 Bullitt #00919- Sold
90 LX- Sold
89 LX Vert- Sold
89 LX (DarkHorse)-Sold

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Half the clapped out mustangs here have a difficult time doing 20 seconds of donuts and you want them to drive cross country in shifts of 20hrs.....

Based on my long distance driving stints. You shouldn't really be on the road longer than 12-14 hrs even sharing with a passenger.

Arriving there is much more important than hurrying to get there

With a caravan of cars you should account for an average pace of 55mph. Which pushes it to 50hrs of driving. (Hills,curves,traffic etc all take away from your travel time)

I would say a minimum of 3 days preferably 4 to accomplish the trek.

This however doesn't even take into account any breakdowns etc.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
js
¯
Member # 9859

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for js  Ford pictures for js    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^Mustangs don't break down. Ever.
93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
Half the clapped out mustangs here have a difficult time doing 20 seconds of donuts and you want them to drive cross country in shifts of 20hrs.....

Based on my long distance driving stints. You shouldn't really be on the road longer than 12-14 hrs even sharing with a passenger.

Arriving there is much more important than hurrying to get there

With a caravan of cars you should account for an average pace of 55mph. Which pushes it to 50hrs of driving. (Hills,curves,traffic etc all take away from your travel time)

I would say a minimum of 3 days preferably 4 to accomplish the trek.

This however doesn't even take into account any breakdowns etc.

we are looking at 3 days for travel to/from. the cars involved will be prepared for the drive.
flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores24v  Ford pictures for flores24v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you PM me some more details Op
stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've done this drive 3 times. Will never do it again in a mustang. From Richmond to Dover Delaware taking the southern route. Too many tolls on 80. Have fun but been there done that got the t shirt and sent the post card.

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

How many days does it take southern route?

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

Poisond Pony
¯
Member # 5141

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poisond Pony  Ford pictures for Poisond Pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MustangWeek 2016 will be July 18-24

I did the west coast to east coast drive in 2012 when I moved from Sacramento to Orlando. It was a long damn drive to say the least. I chose a slightly middle route on Highway 40 aka Route 66 for a change of scenary. I did this with my '96 Cobra and my dog riding shotgun.

Day 1: Bay Area to Flagstaff, AZ
Day 2: Flagstaff to Oklahoma City
Day 3: OKC to Ft Benning, GA
Day 4: Ft Benning to Orlando

where I'm at now in Ft Benning, Mrytle Beach is 6 hours away, same distance to Orlando from here. My advice if you're gonna make the drive:

- take I-10. Cops in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi didn't take kindly to the California plates and I was pulled over for BS reasons in each state. If you stay on a major Interstate, you won't be fucked with as much

- radio + iPod = gift from god

- preventive maintenance goes a long way. The Cobra was trouble free on the drive. Only casualty was a front wheel bearing by the time I hit Florida. Oh yeah, it rains like a mother fucker here in South during the summer so have a decent set of tires and wiper blades. It WILL rain during MW but it doesn't stop anything. Give it 30 minutes and it will pass

- book your rooms in advance, it fills quickly.

I'll be out there in my Mach 1 so I hope to see some California plated Mustangs [Big Grin]

--------------------
1997 SVT Cobra
very stock, very lame

Posts: 1089 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com