Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Transmission options street/strip duty

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Transmission options street/strip duty
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fell in love with racing all over again last week at sac raceway and I just want my e.t. to go down every time I make a pass.

Although my car has what I see as a strong well built motor it has 2-3 major weak spots. The transmission is one and the rear end and the suspension as a whole.

I really want to stay auto as this car is a daily driver but what can I do to my current c4 to make it a tire shredding 2nd gear chearping mf'er lol

What should I look at to choose a stall and how can I choose a good valve body?

I know camara90 has a good one in his gt hope to get some answers.
Thanks cafords

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Post some good details on your entire combo.
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
79 coupe stock chassis down to 7.5, oem rear shocks that need to be replaced ASAP, Monroe front struts, sportline springs all the way around, stock c4, 18" cobra r's

The motor is a stock bottom 302 roller with edlebrock performer heads performer rpm intake 1411 edlebrock carb custom cam specs soon to come Mac shorties bbk x pipe off road and spintech outlaws/ or pro streets dumped at the rear axle

--------------------
King Lx

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gear ratio?
83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 83notcher  Ford pictures for 83notcher    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey bro i was the guy at sac that bout those parts from u. Idk much about carbs but i think you where running to big of a carb for your setup. My pops always had good luck with a vacuum secondary carb and said to stay away from double pumpers. Your car with those heads and good set of slicks should easily be in the 12s
Posts: 484 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Dec 2012  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by 83notcher:
Hey bro i was the guy at sac that bout those parts from u. Idk much about carbs but i think you where running to big of a carb for your setup. My pops always had good luck with a vacuum secondary carb and said to stay away from double pumpers. Your car with those heads and good set of slicks should easily be in the 12s

You telling me! Like turbo50 told me I just need to break down and get a new Holley and it will be a lot better. But notch1320 I think my rear en has 3.08's I'm not sure

--------------------
King Lx

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Address the carb deal first. Then I would be more worried about that 7.5 rear more than the trans. A set of 3.73's and a sticky tire plus some seat time would be my plan. Add a shift kit to the valve body in the trans next. Just my 2 cents....

[ 2013-06-15, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Notch1320 ]

83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 83notcher  Ford pictures for 83notcher    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What carb u using now? I forgot
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
Address the carb deal first. Then I would be more worried about that 7.5 rear more than the trans. A set of 3.73's and a sticky tire plus some seat time would be my plan. Add a shift kit to the valve body in the trans next. Just my 2 cents....

I need to get rid of my 1411 carb so what size should I look for and preferably a Holley vacuum secondaries. I'm thinking 650?
And I'm searching high and low for a rear end but no luck. And should I get a whole new valve body as they only cost 180+/-?

--------------------
King Lx

83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

http://californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=112569
83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

They are also at pick n pull. there are a bunch of pnps around me in sac,rancho cordova,antelope
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me know when that things ready for the catfish killer. It steers now! lol

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com