Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » my budget built 83 notch goes 13.43 @ 102mph at sac raceway (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: my budget built 83 notch goes 13.43 @ 102mph at sac raceway
83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 83notcher  Ford pictures for 83notcher    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here is a progression I thought I would share with you guys just to show you it is possible to go mid 13s with a stock gutted foxbody on a budget [Big Grin]

for starters I found a killer deal for a gutted 1983 notchback mustang on Craigslist for $800 with a T5 transmission, full roll cage in it with custom welded in subframe connectors and stiffened up as much as possible, fresssh 2011 GT white paint job, No motor but I had one from my previous 5.0

This was the first day I bought it. As I said a killer deal!!
 -

After a wash gettin ready to drop the motor in
 -
130,000 stock 89 5.0 EFI motor gettin ready to drop in
 -
motor in with T5 installed. smog pump,AC,power steering all removed later down the road
 -
gauges in and a brand new autometer phantom tach that i purchased from a co worker for 30 bucks.
 -
went for the sleeper look for the first time out to sac raceway. with stock ten holes with OLD ASS HARD TIRES
 -
First run of eliminations not getting any traction on OLD street tires and running pig rich, only had enough power to need 3 gears haha, dont remember the time but it was running mid 15s all night. I know very slow but it was my first night out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW2eroQEiBo

another run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJm5Bbu48DI

By this time i was amazed i was goin rounds. before I knew it I was in the semis and this is the winning run of the night since at the finals the pontiac formula i was goin to run bailed, I guess he was scared to get beat by shitty running 5.0 haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpmKPIQgaA

The next day after still not believing i won the first night out I desired to up the performance. hit up craigslist and found a GT40 upper and lower intake with BBK 70MM throttle body and bbk shorty headers for the amazing price of $150. then I bought a brand new BBK fuel pressure regulator, and of course intake gaskets...I used the stock header gaskets. and got to work.

here is a picture with the all parts installed plus a DIY ram air goin thru the middle head light
 -

Then i hit up craigslist for slicks found a killer deal for weld drag lites with skinnies up front and a brand new set of Hoosier 26x9x15 full slick for $400 [Eek!]
 -

Now it was time to go to the track with timing bumped to 14 and fuel pressure set to 39 PSI. I pulled off a blistering run of 13.54 at 102 MPH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT_NeAU6oKo

since then I have upgraded the rear control arms with adjustables, Lakewood 90/10 shocks up front, adjustable KYBs in the rear, E fan, extra stuff here and there and i got it down to a 13.43 1.70s 60 foots.

after all is said and done im into the car I would say around $2,500. not bad for a unopened 5.0 block with a cashiers salary (=

thanks for looking CA fords

[ 2013-06-27, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: 83notcher ]

Posts: 484 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Dec 2012  |  :
sinisterblk
¯
Member # 8425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinisterblk  Ford pictures for sinisterblk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Awesome work, true budget hot rodding This is one of the best posts I've seen in a very long time.
Posts: 549 | From: angels camp | Registered: May 2008  |  :
ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArchersGT  Ford pictures for ArchersGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool post. I like the car. Looks like you were patient in waiting for a deal.

--------------------
86' LX Vert

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's pretty cool. Throw a small shot at it.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice little hot rod. But please for the love of god. Put a 83 no fog light nose and a hood on that thing. Dump that 79-82 front. 83-84 no fog lights fronts look 100% better.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 83notcher  Ford pictures for 83notcher    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks alot. and I like the newer front ends but I like the 4 eye better. but I do wana get the covers to go over the headlights [Big Grin]
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 83notcher:
thanks alot. and I like the newer front ends but I like the 4 eye better. but I do wana get the covers to go over the headlights [Big Grin]

Make them. I did. Super easy. cost me like 40ish bux.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

howd you do it. plexyglass? You should make a rite up like I did on how to make em haha.
BLACKOUTLAW
¯
Member # 6821

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for BLACKOUTLAW  Ford pictures for BLACKOUTLAW  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love to see budget builds,

--------------------
THE HEART BEAT STOPS HERE!

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

quote:
howd you do it. plexyglass? You should make a rite up like I did on how to make em haha.

Go to Lowes or Home depot and buy the sheets of lexan. It's like plastic but it won't crack or shatter. Then cut it with shears to get close to right size. Then just use a grider with a flapper wheel to get then the perfect shape. Drill a couple holes and done.

-

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

nice pic that looks good. might have to try that out
83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

can you get a close up pic i wana see how you mounted them in there
ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArchersGT  Ford pictures for ArchersGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to do that soon as well. May just buy them, only 60$.
Do the headlights still work well behind the tinted ones? They look pretty dark. Still street legal?

--------------------
86' LX Vert

83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

get some of the HID lights and there would be no problem
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
28-29 psi ?? interesting...the stock setting is supposed to be around 40-50 psi, so you just dropped it to 29 psi?

[ 2013-06-13, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: MACK.GT ]

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

quote:
can you get a close up pic i wana see how you mounted them in there

I drilled them for sheet metal screws. Nothing fancy. I'm about go, not show. Mine are clear lexan so the stock lights shine nice and bright threw them.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

opps i meant to say 39 psi a lil less then stock psi is better so i was told and it seems to love it
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I tried turning it down to 38 psi with The vacuum removed, my Car seems faster Now too. Does anyone know For sure how low is too low to.go on The fuel psi??
83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

well the computer adjusts fuel pressure to. Ive read that people say adjusting fuel psi wont do shit because the computer compensates for the added or dropped fuel pressure. but i beg to differ
83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

another thing that helps to set fuel psi is a wide band A/F ratio gauge. its basically a O2 sensor that reads air to fuel ratio
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice lil build you got there
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

Thanks. cant wait till winter to put some better heads and cam in it and see if i can hit low 12s
83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

Thanks. cant wait till winter to put some better heads and cam in it and see if i can hit low 12s
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love this post! Reminds me so much of my coupe. I had a 87 coupe, manual windows, manual locks, full interior. STOCK from Throttle body to Pan. Full exhaust and 3.73s.... ran 12.93 on slicks. I really think the no MAF on the 87 was a big advantage.

Great to see a budget car going fast. Hope to see you at the track this summer sometime.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
83notcher
¯
Member # 12608

I got 410s goin in this week then im goin out to the track hopefully next Wednesday night july 3rd for testing then goin to the chevy vs ford on the 6th to beat up on some chebys.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com