Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » First time out in the Cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: First time out in the Cobra
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's been about 9 years since I've gone to the track. However I finally made it out tonight on short notice.

I wasn't able to put my DR's on because I couldn't find my lug nut key. But I decided to anyways on street tires.

1st run
60' 2.420
1/4 13.190 @ 115.08 MPH

2nd
60' 2.401
1/4 13.121 @ 116.23

What should this car run with a half decent 60' time?

I know a 2.4 is just ridiculous

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
93 hatch
¯
Member # 8100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 hatch  Ford pictures for 93 hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With that MPH high 11s to low 12s but you need high 1.6 to low 1.7 60 foot time.

--------------------
Dart shp 364 AFR 195.off the shelf cam TKO 600 twin disc RST 11.36 @ 120 N/A

Posts: 502 | From: sants rosa | Registered: Dec 2007  |  :
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, I definitely need some more seat time.
I was scared of snapping a half shaft so I babied it really bad off the line. Hopefully next week I'll be able to take out my drag radials and install a diff brace.

Thanks for the reply

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
93 hatch
¯
Member # 8100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 hatch  Ford pictures for 93 hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No racing this wendsday .

--------------------

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should see mid 11's with that trap speed.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was only running 116 to 117mph as well with my 6psi setup. I was in the Reef Blue 93 in the Gear Jammer class. I am trying to keep it over 11.50 since the cage still isn't in. On ET Street Bias plys, I was running 11.65 with a 1.65 60ft. I got a 1.58 and a 1.59 60ft in 2 of the eliminations and those would have been 11.51 to 11.53 if I stayed on it at 117mph. Then in the final it spun like crazy and went to a 1.78 60ft which slowed me to an 11.86 at 116.8mph. The 60ft makes a HUGE difference in your ET. Now, that is driving it as hard as I can and not worrying about any breakage. With your heavier car, I would say that you should be able to safely run a 1.9 60ft and get it to 11.90 with just a little clutch slippage off the line with the drag radials at a fairly low rpm. You need to shift the hell out of though! The one 03Cobra that I drove down the track was pretty easy to launch on drag radials with all of that lowend they have since the roots blowers come on so early. Just slip the clutch and try to keep the rpm just over 2k as you get on the gas. If you aren't worried about breakage, bring it up to 3500rpm and let the clutch out faster. The radials will dead hook and cause it to bog if you drop the clutch at too low of an rpm, but you might break a half shaft if you drop it at too high of an rpm. Slipping the clutch will work better for you, but it is more difficult to get a good reaction that way and it is harder on the clutch. Easier on everything else though.

Shoot for a 12.30 next time if you get the drag radials on it. There was a guy in new 5.0 GT out there on drag radials and he ran 12.37 @ 116mph. He shifted it well but bogged like crazy off the line. Those cars are geared better than yours though with really close ratios. I think he had a 2.1 60ft on that 12.3 pass. His car is lighter though so it will also be more difficult to get yours off the line as quickly.

Good Luck!!

[ 2013-04-08, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: need-a-cage ]

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
93 hatch
¯
Member # 8100

quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
I was only running 116 to 117mph as well with my 6psi setup. I was in the Reef Blue 93 in the Gear Jammer class. I am trying to keep it over 11.50 since the cage still isn't in. On ET Street Bias plys, I was running 11.65 with a 1.65 60ft. I got a 1.58 and a 1.59 60ft in 2 of the eliminations and those would have been 11.51 to 11.53 if I stayed on it at 117mph. Then in the final it spun like crazy and went to a 1.78 60ft which slowed me to an 11.86 at 116.8mph. The 60ft makes a HUGE difference in your ET. Now, that is driving it as hard as I can and not worrying about any breakage. With your heavier car, I would say that you should be able to safely run a 1.9 60ft and get it to 11.90 with just a little clutch slippage off the line with the drag radials at a fairly low rpm. You need to shift the hell out of though! The one 03Cobra that I drove down the track was pretty easy to launch on drag radials with all of that lowend they have since the roots blowers come on so early. Just slip the clutch and try to keep the rpm just over 2k as you get on the gas. If you aren't worried about breakage, bring it up to 3500rpm and let the clutch out faster. The radials will dead hook and cause it to bog if you drop the clutch at too low of an rpm, but you might break a half shaft if you drop it at too high of an rpm. Slipping the clutch will work better for you, but it is more difficult to get a good reaction that way and it is harder on the clutch. Easier on everything else though.

Shoot for a 12.30 next time if you get the drag radials on it. There was a guy in new 5.0 GT out there on drag radials and he ran 12.37 @ 116mph. He shifted it well but bogged like crazy off the line. Those cars are geared better than yours though with really close ratios. I think he had a 2.1 60ft on that 12.3 pass. His car is lighter though so it will also be more difficult to get yours off the line as quickly.

Good Luck!!

How right u are Craig! If that was a fox body u would hit the mid 11s but not in that PIG!!!

--------------------

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I assumed it was a fox.. My bad. [Frown]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com